Sunday, July 30, 2006

Does this dress make me look fat?

So, I know whenever Coach answers that question with, "um, I don't know," it's time to change. Today, getting ready for church, I put on a pre-preggie dress, and maybe it was just wishful thinking, but hey, I thought it was fine. I asked Coach if it was too tight, and he gave the "um, I don't know" answer. Well, bless his heart, he just didn't want to tell me that the pre-preggie dress was making me look like a whale. It's time to start admitting that once you have fabric stretching very taut over a basketball sized bump in the front and a matching one in the back, that it's time to give up the pre-preggie wardrobe for now. It stops being cute at some point and starts to look scary. This is starting to happen most Sundays. I put something on, and after looking in the mirror several times, deciding that "this just doesn't look right," and subsequently changing five times. And most of the time, these clothes changing episodes occur about five minutes before we are supposed to leave. What am I looking for? The Amazing Weight Reducing Dress? I guess I am trying to find something that only makes me look the size of a baby whale, instead of the full grown big mama one. Minimizing black won out today, but hopefully nobody looked too closely because after a quick switcheroo into the short black skirt, hopping in the car and driving to church, I realized my legs were hairy, partly on account of the fact I haven't shaved them, and partly because even if I tried, I am losing sight of my feet and couldn't reach all the way anyway. It's time to face the facts. I'm getting bigger and nothing I wear will change the appearance of being pregnant, no matter how hard I try. Princess used to say, "Daddy says your tummy is big, but I don't think it's big!" But now it is more fun for her to say, "Mommy's FAT!" And you know what? She's probably right, but for now I will embrace my fatness because it took some doing to get me to this point, the recovering infertile I am. Sometimes, I am still so amazed there is an actual, live little human being in there, and he is worth every pound I gain. So, ice cream, anyone?

4 comments:

Sunnie said...

you have to enjoy it because it is really one of the only times in your life it is ok to be called fat! and by the way, you don't even look fat!

scraphappymama said...

I think you look great. If only I looked half as cute pregnant, I just might join the ranks . . . in the meantime, I am always up for ice cream, or chocolate!!

1tiredmama said...

You always look so cute! I am jealous. I look like an elephant when I am pregnant! But remember, it is the only time in your life you have a good excuse for being fat! So enjoy!

April said...

Just found your blog.

I did the Sunday morning switching thing yesterday. Only for the most part my issue was not fitting the pregnancy clothes yet (at least not to where they'd look right). Soon enough and I won't be able to fit anything!