Oh, Ambition
It seems as though I have high expectations for myself. There's something about going to a library that makes me want to learn about every subject under the sun. This desire to learn about things, all things, sort of takes over. Every time I go to the library, I come home with lots of new books for myself. Oh, yes, I limit Princess's selections to about 6 or 7 books, but then we wander up to the second floor, where you can find books on all different subjects, and I can personally grab at least 6 or 7 for myself, easy. As I type, I can see my dresser and on it, there are four cookbooks, four gardening books, two parenting books, four books on interior painting, and one on haircutting. I'm not kidding. And let's not forget the novels, which surprisingly there are only two of. I've gotten these over several trips to the library, but what am I thinking? I can't possibly read them all! But which ones do I renew and which ones do I take back? I really do want to know what all these books say. And today, while I was there, I almost picked up a book on preschool curriculum and one on writing prize winning essays. This desire to read twenty books every two weeks is a little bit too ambitious for me, especially considering I am lucky to get in thirty minutes of reading time a day. I think I have some kind of disease. But it never fails. I want to learn about everything. Maybe I just need to start with one topic at a time.
7 comments:
That is a great ambition. We usually never venture upstairs. I am always worried that my kide are too loud to leave the children's section. I think maybe you have inspired me to try it out next time. Thanks!
I once had the same "problem." I curbed it a little by avoiding the second floor and only making requests. I bring the books home, keep them 2 weeks and usually by that time reality has set in that I really am not going to get around to it. Then I have to find time to get the books back to the library. So, the end result . . . I'm just stupid:)
maybe you ought to get a "speed reading" book the next time you go! =)
I'm so impressed! Teach me everything you know.
Judging by the books I borrow, one would think I was the world's living expert on child rearing, culinary skills, home decorating, etc., but sadly, this is not the case. Rainie, you probably have more to teach me!
i think it's partially the thrill of checking out the books. it's free and you feel so educational and it all sounds so interesting! but then we remember that our house is messy (at least mine is) and our kids are crying (mine probably are... mya is right now- she rufuses to go to sleep!) and when we do sit down to read, we fall asleep. oh maybe one day we will read it all. until then...
Maybe it's genetic...I do the same thing and then I wonder why on earth I'm stressed about all the things on my "to do" list. Maybe I need a book on prioritizing...let me know if you have any suggestions :).
Post a Comment