The Toy Bomb Exploded

So, Christmas has come and gone and it was wonderful... family, friends, food, all wonderful, and all gone too soon. Despite having some iffy moments, I guess Santa decided Princess was good this year and brought so many presents that it looks like a toy bomb has exploded in our house, because there are toys, books, games, etc littered all over the place. I think that we doubled the amount of toys we have in our house once all the presents were opened Christmas Day, thanks to generous grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins. In fact, we probably own enough toys to outfit all the children in some underpriveledged country with at least one toy each. Or set up a toy store rivaling FAO Schwartz. Actually, at toy clean up time today, I wondered how close we could get to reaching Beltway 8 if we lined up all of Princess's toys end to end. I think we'd get pretty close. But despite me thinking that she has way too many toys already, if you asked Princess, she would probably disagree. She was sure she didn't have enough even before she started unwrapping, before she even saw all the presents under the tree with her name on them, which, I'm sure, numbered in the "twenty fifties," Princess's way of expressing large numbers. This is why: It was Christmas Eve, and with Christmas Eve comes the unwrapping of one present, which is always pajamas. This has been the tradition with my family forever, and determined as I was, I got Princess and Baby Brother matching jammies, to continue this family legacy. Apparently, Princess, not remembering this tradition from last year, had peeked at an alledged tear in the paper and decided that yes, it was clothes of some sort, and it was pink. (I'm really not all that convinced that the tear was already there before Princess got to it, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here). As everyone gathered round to watch her tear into her present, imagine my chagrin when, upon ripping off part of the paper, she realized what she was getting and uttered this telling comment: "It doesn't look like much!" I don't know what she was expecting, but this apparently was NOT it. Whatever she was hoping was beneath that wrapping was either bigger or more. Or both. And we can credit her for being 150% honest about her feelings. No need to wonder, "do you really like them?" I was really hoping that her comment wasn't the precursor to a Christmas Day full of disappointment, one where after she opens all her gifts, wonders why there isn't any more. Luckily, this wasn't the case, and she had fun opening her presents the next day (and all of Baby Brother's and most of mine and Coach's... "helping," of course). And I got some vindication the other night when Princess was putting those pink jammies on and she told me, "these are my most favorite jammies in the whole world!" So, even though it may not have looked like much at the time, it turned out to be pretty good. I think she does like them after all. And all her other presents for that matter. I just wish I knew where to put them all.
2 comments:
I was honored to make the background of your great picture of Aubbie. Kids make the world go-round don't they?
I feel you on the toy thing. I made my kids go through all their toys before & after Christmas and pick toys to give to "the poor kids." I still feel stressed and overwhelmed by the large amount of *stuff* in our house.
Aubrey looks SUPER cute in her pj's.
Post a Comment