Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter in San Antonio

We had a great time with my sister Lindsay and her husband Ritchie in San Antonio last weekend. Despite it being freezing, we had fun doing outside things, like an easter egg hunt, and also, perhaps the most amusing thing, the fact that Princess went on a run with my sister and I, and actually kept up with us for a whole mile, running just as fast as she could. It was pretty funny. She was worn out after the first mile or so, and so Lindsay and I decided to have her ride piggyback on both of us, switching off, for an added level of difficulty on our run. We were pretty pooped after it was over, but I was laughing because I had no idea that Princess could run a mile straight. Here are a couple of things we did:

This was us at the Easter Egg hunt in this beautiful Antique Rose Garden. Unfortunately, we could not enjoy it to its fullest extent as it was 36 F outside and raining. Princess looks freezing because she was.

We came home and decorated eggs. Notice Princess's one green hand and one purple hand-- the best part of the egg dying process was putting her hands in the dye. I was afraid she was going to be green and purple for church the next day (which incidentally would have matched her dress), but with several scrubbings, it came off.

Princess also treated my sister and I to a manicure. Notice the polish goes down to my first knuckles. It was beautiful.

We decorated cookies, and Princess spilled an entire bottle of jimmies on one cookie. That was fun.

Aubrey and Andrew on Easter.

This was so great-- Baby Brother was happy with the baby food and teething ring in his Easter basket.

This was me and Lindsay's gravy attempt. We tried to make it with the drippings of the roast Lindsay made, and I don't know where we went wrong, except that maybe Lindsay put in too much milk, and then I put in too much cornstarch. To be honest, neither one of us really had any idea how to make gravy, so I think we were doomed from the start. Lindsay is an awesome cook, and we always have delicious things to eat at her house, so this was especially funny. Just another reason to pick up a little envelope of instant gravy next time.

Yes, it looked to be pretty much a combination of tar and lard. So, instead of homemade gravy on our roast, we poured on some A-1. Anyone know any good gravy recipes?

Lindsay made creme brulee for dessert, which just goes to show what a great cook she is, and by then, we'd all but forgotten about the glue-like gravy. Princess helped torch our yummy dessert.


Thanks Lindsay and Ritchie for a super fun time!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Mmmm. Creme Brulee. I LOVE your manicures! Can she come give me one? And wow, running a whole mile! That is awesome! Looks like the Easter bunny found you, even though you were in San Antonio. Glad ya'll had a good time!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

haha, i miss you guys so much. i can't wait for you all to get here.

Rainie said...

I just learned those sprinkles had a real name "Jimmies". I would like a whole bottle on my cookie too! I hope you didn't take that polish off and hurt Aubs feelings.

allison said...

Kissy I'm so excited to see you guys, I just love reading your posts. And I can't wait to see Aubs and Andrew!!! He looks so much like you!! I love you! *kiss*kiss* :)

Sunnie said...

sounds like you had way fun! i have to admit that looking at that gravy could make you nauseated! did anyone try it?