Monday, May 21, 2007

It's going to take more than a Miracle (Gro)

Here is a word of warning... if you're going to give me a plant, you might as well rip it out by the roots right now, and save it the misery of a slow and agonizing death that I would inflict upon it. Me? Have a green thumb?? OH no. I recently discovered the name for a person like me is a "brown thumb." As in, my fingers and or thumb touch this plant, and it turns from lush, healthy green, to ugly, dying brown. Here's the visual:



This is (maybe WAS by now) a raspberry start I transplanted from a friend's yard. The poor little guy hasn't even lasted a week since I put it in. Yes, that's right, I've had it for just one week. I thought I was doing the humane thing by putting it in a pot, because that way, I could shield it from too much sun that shines in just about every square inch of our little yard. And I gave it some nice topsoil, some bug spray, and plenty of Miracle Gro. Unfortunately, I think it's going to actually require a miracle for this little plant to pull through. The blackberry plant is doing a little better:



So, it's sad, but I'm at a loss to fix it. I've lost plenty of plants in the past: a ficus, several jasmine, and several other plants that I don't know the names of.

The sad fact of the matter is: I'm horticulturally challenged.

10 comments:

Liz said...

I soooo feel your pain.

1tiredmama said...

I am the same way. That is why I have all fake plants in my house. The real ones I have had never lasted more than a month.

Ginger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginger said...

Ohhhh! I hear you though. I killed just about everything we tried to grow in Las Vegas. However I'm still blaming that on the fact that it was Las Vegas :D

Things are going a little bit better here, but that is mostly due to the fact that it rains all the time, and makes up for when I forget to water! Haha!

Emma Jo said...

I'm really good at growing weeds. I too, have all fake plants...the poor things never see it coming.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you gave the raspberry too much water...that's how I killed ours last year. I tried again this year, using MUCH less water, and I am successful thus far. Grandpa says they get root-rot or something like that if you water them too much. :)

Whitney said...

Don't give up! My mom is the horticulture queen and I didn't get that gene. My raspberries that I just transplanted didn't look very good at first and with a little time they have perked up some. I bet they won't really do well until next summer. You also might want to try staking the plant so that it has some support to stand upright. Don't feel bad! Mine looked the same!

allison said...

tehehe, don't worry, i still love you.

Sunnie said...

i'm with you. but i think that your yard looks good. your luscious tree is at least as big as ours, if not bigger. so you're one up on us!

Christy said...

I am the same way but I keep buying plants for some reason and my husband just shakes his head everytime and wages a bet with who ever is there about how long it will take for this plant to die.... my problem is that if it outside and I don't walk past it daily I forget it is there and forget to water it... I think plants scream when the see me coming.