Monday, August 27, 2007

Watch out Kindergarten, here comes Aubrey!



The day dawned early this morning, with an accompanying, "it's my first day of kindergarten!" from Aubrey. We've been counting the days down for a while now, and so today was her day. I'm happy to report we got her off to school this morning without a hitch. I am surprised and pleased that it was easier than I had expected.

We had breakfast, (pancakes, per Aubrey's request) and then we got ready, and she didn't need any help, she informed me. She did have some concerns about not being able to open the packages in her Princess lunchbox come lunchtime, but luckily, we'd already thought through that one and I had partially opened her fruit snacks package, and the straw to her juice box. I am happy to report I put in a little surprise of a small package of M&M's, which I think she will be delighted to find at lunchtime. (And don't worry, I partially opened those too). She didn't need really any assurance from me about that dilemma, because she remembered something me and Chad tell her, and she said, "I am a Super Stolle and I can do hard things!" So that problem was quickly solved.

On the drive to school, I told her I was going to park and take her in, to which she said, "no, I told you to just drop me off!" So obviously, I was unnecessary. But as we were walking in, she was holding my hand and she said, "I think I'm the only one just a little bit scared to go to school today," and I assured her that no, this was everyone's first day, and reminded her that most people are scared to try new things but most of the time they turn out liking them. She agreed with me and we went in. When we went to her classroom, she found her seat and her nametag, and the student teacher came and started talking to her and I decided to take my leave. So I gave her a hug and a kiss and said, "okay, Aubs, I'm leaving, I'll see you later, have a great day!" And then she said, as if she's been waiting to say this for a long time, "okay, bye mom! See ya after school!" And waved. I walked away and she didn't watch me go and she didn't look back. So away we went.

And here she is, as excited as she can be for school. As excited and happy as she is/was, it's hard to not be excited with her.


I'm hoping she comes home as excited as she left.



I'm looking forward to hearing all about it this afternoon over a plate of chocolate cookies and milk. There's no way I'm leaving that part out of our day. :)



She really wanted a picture of herself with her brother, who incidentally, was the only one who cried this morning.

11 comments:

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

Hey Kristin! I found your blog off of Julia's. So, yeah, I'm blog stalking... :) Anyway, I can't believe you have a little girl in kindergarten! That's crazy! Such cute pics of your kids and congrats on #3! ps... this is Rebecca Carleton (now Jones)...

Rainie said...

Starting school makes me weepy. I love the I can do hard things because I'm a super Stolle. We might have to copy you and come up with some "I'm a golden graham" phrase. I have to run and make our cookies now.

Julia said...

oh wow..the first day of school! what a day! she looks so cute. now that she's in school i hope you have free time to hang out!

Whitney said...

What a great day for you guys! I love that you partially opened up her packages. What a great mom you are. :) It will be fun to hear how the actual day goes.

Lindsay said...

Oh...what an adorable little thing. She does have that happy, excited, bursting-at-the-seams-smile. I can't wait for the post about how it went :).

Carrie said...

aw she looks so cute!! I cant believe that she is in kindergarten!! That is sweet of you to put in a little package of m&ms. And I am glad you partially opened her package!! What a good mom!

1tiredmama said...

How exciting! I hope that I can be as strong as you and not cry on Ethan's first day.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

oh kristin i am sad just looking at this...i mean sad in a happy sort of way. she really is getting bigger, but the great thing is that she gets even better also! She's the best, and I can't wait to talk to her about her day!

Liz said...

Aww! She looks so excited! Did Andrew miss her? Our baby boy didn't quite know what to do with himself without sissy and brother.

Hope she had a great first day!

Court and Jill said...

Aubrey looks so cute on her first day of school! So tell the truth...did you cry?? I'm pretty sure I will be shedding tears the day Livi heads off for school...luckily that's in about 4 years, so I have a lot of prep time!

Janae said...

She looks so cute out there in front of Kohrville! Now I am getting a little homesick...or rather, a little Aubrey/Andrewsick.