A Mother's Heart
To my family and friends: Today marks one month from the day my precious baby girl was born. I have not blogged in this period of time, because, how do you write about something so dear to your heart somewhere so impersonal as the world wide web? I have felt the need to recognize this event in my life, by writing about it, by blogging about it, but have struggled to find the correct way to do so. I want to blog about other things as well... our recent trip to Disney World, our preparations for Christmas, other exciting things, but feel like before I do that, I need to recognize Caitlyn's brief appearance in my life on, my blog, a place where I have recorded all other important happenings in my life. So, with that said, I am posting portions of something I wrote a week after Caitlyn's birth, while visting the garden area where she is buried. Please know this writing is more for myself and the reverence which I have for this experience than for any of my readers, but thank you to any and all of who do take the time to read it.
*******************************************************************************
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Dear baby Caitlyn,
Today, we visit your gravesite, where your precious little body lay. We didn't plan it this way, but you were born almost exactly one week ago today. How our world has changed from one week ago. There is another man here, visiting a headstone, cleaning the grass and pine needles off, and I hope I will come here often, to take care of your special and holy spot, with time. Oh, how we love you and were awaiting your arrival. Aubrey was so excited to have a baby sister she could teach to be girly and such the princess she is. She was planning on showing you all there was to know about being a girl. Andrew, he wasn't going to know what hit him, and was probably just going to grab at your eyelashes and pat you on the head like he does so often to us. Your daddy was looking so forward to holding you and loving you, his second precious daughter. He has a special spot in his heart for his little girls. He was looking forward to holding you in his arms and singing softly to you when you cried. There were a thousand things we had in mind for you. And me, your mother, how I enjoyed feeling so connected to you! You moved so much, so frequently, and though maybe I pretended to complain, in my heart I rejoiced every time I felt you kick. I felt so connected to you and felt so much love for you. How excited I was to finally have you in my arms, to wrap my arms around you, and know that I knew you better than anyone, and know that I could comfort your when you cried, and enjoy the moments with you as a tiny newborn. Our family had so much love for you! We waited so anxiously for your arrival, "after Christmas and before Valentine's Day." We weren't really expecting you, so soon after Andrew, your sweet, loving older brother, but I knew you were coming, from very very early on. I'm grateful to have had so much time to get to know you. And we still await you, though it will be a longer time, but I know, I will someday have the opportunity to wrap my arms around you, and give you all the love in my heart, which is great. I hope you are waiting on the other side, that you are as anxious as I to meet. I feel like I know you, in a small way, and grateful for the chance to have forever to learn more. You are so special, baby Cait, and so precious. So close to my heart, now and always. I don't know why we were chosen to be the guardians or your little body, but I am grateful beyond words we could provide that to you. I am happy in my heart to know that gaining a body is part of Heavenly Father's plan for us, and that you were able to complete that part of your progression. As I looked at your little body after you were delivered, I marvelled at how perfect you were- everything from your ears down to your ten tiny toes with even smaller toenails. I thought to myself, "now I know what perfection really is." Even though you had so much growing left to do, which we would have loved to have been part of, for many years. But now I know your growth will be on the other side of the veil.
I am so grateful to you, Caitlyn- to have been a part of our lives for a brief time, and to be the means of teaching to us, and helping us learn the beauty and the simplicity of the gospel. I know we will see you again, and I'm grateful that we have eternity- that's it's not just a few months, but forever that you are ours...
I know that Heavenly Father loves me dearly, because I was able to carry and bear you... truly Caitlyn, you are a gift. I love you so much...
And so, I feel immense peace. I look forward to that day that I can give you an even greater measure of love, from me, your mom. How I rejoice at the thought. Our family has so much love in our hearts for you. Me, your daddy, your sister Aubrey and brother Andrew. We love you. I hope you know, and think you do. Being worthy of together as a family with you is what I most fervently desire.
With all my heart,
mom
************************************************************************************
24 comments:
You are amazing - all of you.
you had me in tears. you truly amaze me with your strength and faith. you are such a wonderful person, chosen by a loving HF to endure such a challenging yet refining experience. You truly are a woman of faith. Thanks for being my friend.
That was absolutely beautiful Kristin. I am glad you have that knowledge of the plan of salvation. I too am astonished how strong and faithful you are. I hope you are all doing alright.
I am so glad you posted this. It was just lovely. You have such strong faith and love for your sweet baby and for your Heavenly Father. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing that and sharing your feelings with us. It was wonderful
Thank you for sharing something so precious and sacred with us. I am grateful to have people like you to learn from and gain experience through. Bless your little family.
I too sat and cried as I read your sweet letter to your little girl. Our thoughts and prayers have been with you during the past month. How wonderful to have the gospel to help us have help understanding some of life's most challenging moments. You are amazing. I'm glad you are back to blogging and look forward to reading more. We love you and Chaddie and your little family!
Kristin,
Thanks for sharing a piece of your heart with us.Caitlyn is a special girl with a wonderful mom. I know she must ache to have to wait to see ya'll as well. I too am grateful to know that this life is not the end.
I have been so impressed with your strong faith. Thank you for your wonderful example of growth from adversity.
i really don't know what to say. i'm just crying. so you know i'm your friend and that i'll do anything for you forever and ever. i'm so sad you had to go through this and i don't know why things in life turn out the way they do, but i'm glad you let me be a part of it in some little way. please know you can call me for anything.
This is a beautiful tribute. I know it was probably very hard, yet good therapy at the same time.
I'm glad you're able to find peace, and I'm glad that you have your family, friends, the church, and the Lord to lean on.
Love you and think of you often.
that was beautiful. thank you for sharing such a sacred experience. your faith is an example to me. i'm just totally amazed by you. all your children are so blessed to have you as their mother.
Oh, Kristin, I love you guys. Thank you for sharing this. You have such a wonderful way of thinking, experiencing, and writing. I feel blessed to have someone like you as my sister.
Kristin, like everyone else I thank you for sharing your tender feelings. I have been thinking about you and Chad and the children so much, and you have been in our prayers. This is a beautiful testimony and it touched me very deeply. I'm so glad you're back to blogging because I have missed you very much.
Kristin, thanks for sharing your feelings on such a special and difficult time of your life. Heavenly Father knew what he was doing to have sent little Caitlyn to your wonderful family. Know that lots of prayers are still being offered in your behalf! Keep your chin up!
Kristin,
I also was in tears because I could feel just a small portion of the great love you have for Caitlyn. I also wanted you to know that you are still in my prayers. It was a beautiful letter. Thank you for reminding me what is truly important to know in this life time.
Kristin,
We do not know each other but, Whit Hasler is a dear friend of mine, and she told me your story. I have had many lost children in my life, I know the ache you feel in your heart and my heart ache with you but, I do know that we are meant for the "gifts" that happen in our lives, even if they do not feel like gifts at all. Heavenly Father knows what hes doing. The best part is you can hold your children in your heart forever they live there anyway.
I wish your family peace and love
Jody
It was amazing to me the first time I felt Lincoln kick in my belly. Even then I couldn't believe the miracle I was able to be apart of. As I got more pregnant it surprised me how much I loved someone I hadn't officially met yet. I think this is why I cry so much about Caitlyn. As a mother, I feel your heart and thank you for sharing it with us.
What an amazing thing to read, Kristen. Thanks for sharing. You are an incredible person.
Kissy, I was just finally able and ready to read this beautiful letter. I will see you tomorrow and can tell you in person of course, but I love you very much and all of you. Your strength through this trial has been a testimony to me more than you'll know. I'm so grateful you are my wonderful sister and Chad is my brother. I love you kissy. And little Caitlyn hopefully gets to see us all every once in a while and will probably know us better than we realize when we see her again! :)
I've been checking your blog regularly waiting to hear your thoughts. Thank you for opening up your heart to those of us who want to hear. You have many people that love you:)
I love you.
What can I say that hasn't already been said? You are an amazing woman Kristin. I'm sure it was not easy to share this, but thank you. You have been in my thoughts and prayers lately and know that I send lots of hugs your way!!
I have no words--just tears--tears for the moments you won't have here with her--but also tears of joy that the gosple gives us the knowledge that those moments will still come. What a beautiful letter--and an amazing family you all are. Stacey is right--HF knew what he was doing when he sent such a beautiful daughter to you.
You've been in my thoughts and prayers, and I appreciate your beautiful post. Know you are an example to me--even so far away. I know you have touched so many with your faith.
Hey Kristin, it's Mike and Mylee. We found your blog from Marc and Ginger's. We'd love to catch up with you and it's great to see your blog. We now have one too, so we'd love if you'd check it out. We need to keep in better touch, maybe this will allow us to do that. Hopefully we'll hear from you soon! Love always, Mylee:) Our blog is http://thefunky5.blogspot.com
Post a Comment