Sunday, April 20, 2008

Baby Name Tag

I got this from my friend Mylee, explaining how you chose your kids' names:

Aubrey Claire... we had a really hard time deciding on a girl's first name, we threw around a ton of ideas. Chad worked for Freshman Academy at BYU at the time and they were sending out mailers to the incoming Freshman and so he browsed the envelopes, and one name he found that we liked was Aubrey. We also considered Emma, but didn't want to choose something really trendy or common. (And we thought Aubrey was unique at the time, but apparently, it wasn't, as there are two other Aubreys just in our ward alone). Then the day before I went in to get induced, we had it narrowed down to Aubrey and Jenna, and I just told Chad he could pick the one he liked the best because years down the road I thought it would be fun if our daughter knew her dad had picked out her name. So he picked Aubrey. I think we still could have changed it when she came out, but she was an Aubrey for sure. Claire was pretty easy because that is my middle name and we thought it would be fun if our first daughter had my middle name. I've worried it's a vain thing to do, but I was named after my sweet grandma and so in essence, it's just continuing to pass that name down.

Andrew William... yet again, we thew around a lot of names and then one night I was at my parents' house and my sisters were rattling off names of people they knew on Facebook, and Andrew was suggested, and I liked it and then Aubrey starting calling my tummy Andrew and it sort of stuck after that, and we didn't want to change it. After he came out I wondered if he was an Andrew or not and it was really weird calling him that, and now, mostly, we call him Brother, for some reason. Before I had any babies, I thought Garrett was a nice boy's name, but I'm not a fan of it now. Since we named our first daughter with my middle name, we named our first son with Chad's middle name. I don't know what we're going to do now if we have any more kids, they're going to feel gyped.

Caitlyn Anne... my sweet little Cait... This is an interesting story, so don't be sad. This past time around, I knew without a doubt I was having a baby, pretty much right away, even though we weren't even trying, and I knew I was having a girl. I had never been so sure and certain as I was with this pregnancy, and I had this urgency in my heart to give her a name, so early, earlier on than with any of my other kids. (Remember, we picked Aubrey's name out the day before). But this time, I wasn't even 20 weeks along, when I started feeling like she had to have a name. So we made a lot of suggestions and finally, settled on Caitlyn, because it was a name I really liked, and had for a while. Then we just found a pretty name that worked well with Caitlyn for her middle name. I felt so reassured when we had decided for sure what we were going to name her, and that was just a few weeks before we found out we lost her. So I was really glad we had chosen her name beforehand, and I felt like my whole pregnancy, the naming thing included and especially, was this huge blessing from Heavenly Father that allowed me to bond with and love my little baby girl for as long as I possibly could have.

So there you have it, the names of the kids in my fam... and now I tag anyone interested in sharing their stories... you all have really interesting stories, I know...

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I actually did not know any of those stories. Thanks for sharing about Caitlyn too. I love your little babes, and their names too. :)

The Funky Bunch said...

That was great to hear about the names. It's interesting to hear how people come up with them and the stories behind them. There is usually something personal behind all of them! Love the names!

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you shared that about Caitlyn, that was so touching. It made me cry all over again.

scraphappymama said...

what a fun post and neat to hear how you went about the naming game. loved your experience with caitlyn and i think all your kid's names are great.

we did the "vain" thing of naming kids after us too. we're to the point we have to use our first names too.

allison said...

I loved that post Kissy! i didn't know those things...I love all those beautiful babens! I still remember when i came in and saw Aubs for the first time...the first little Niece or nephew and i just cried because it was just so wonderful, I'm crying thinking about it! Ah! What wonderful blessings we're allowed to help make and love!

Lindsay said...

What I really liked about this post was that I saw two sweet little faces as I read about their names. Those were good stories. I like to remember sweet baby Cait and that is a good memory about her...I was just thinking of that story the other day too. Love you and those precious chillen'