Goodbye, my love
This delicious sandwich, a PB&J, is my lunchtime love. I don't know how I have such a great fondness for a childhood favorite, but it truly says to me, the Ultimate Comfort Food. I could eat one every day. Unfortunately, I have had to bid a farewell to this tasty triple threat of bread, peanut butter, and jelly, as Chad and I have begun The South Beach diet.
May I introduce you to the brains behind this operation... Please say hello to our new friend, Dr. Agatston, cardiologist and creator of the South Beach diet...

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to get serious about our health, for a number of reasons. I've never considered myself a "dieter" per se, but let's be real... I know there's a little more of me than there should be, at least in my opinion... at least more of me than before I started having babies. Chad was the one who suggested doing this South Beach diet, because his brother had done it with a good deal of success. Chad was going to go ahead with the South Beach diet, and I decided it would be easier to make food for the whole family than just for him. And since the first words out of Aubrey's mouth lately every time we sit down for dinner is, "YUCK! What is this?" I figured we didn't have anything to lose... except the pounds that is...
So basically, here's how it works (skip this part if you don't care): The diet is divided into Three Phases. Phase One lasts two weeks and during that time, you cut out all Bad carbs and bad fats... that means no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, baked goods, fruits, and a few vegetables (carrots, corn, and beets). Those get gradually added back in subsequent phases. We can eat all the good fats (like what's found in nuts and that kind of thing) and all the good carbs (like in veggies, lean meats, and eggs) that we want. But the premise behind cutting the bad things out is that your body's blood sugar level will not swing up and down so much and you won't physically crave them and eat more than necessary. It makes so much sense to me... how many times, when your blood sugar was low, (say, like on fast Sunday) did you ever want a piece of bread or something like that, like crazy? And then when you eat it (and unbeknownst to you, your blood sugar goes sky high and then drops again), you need another one and another one? You're just grabbing for the first thing that makes your blood sugar go up and make you feel better the fastest, and that's the refined sugar, the bad carbs. And then it drops to a low level and you just eat another piece. It's, (I love this term), a vicious cycle. So anyway, after you cut them out, your body gets rid of all the excess weight you've been packing around. In the first phase, you're supposed to lose between 8-13 pounds. After Phase 1, you reintroduce fruit and grains, little by little, (only as much as will not hinder you continue in reaching your goal weight) and then Phase 3 is maintenance, where pretty much everything is allowed, (except Potatoes, he has a thing against those yummy little guys), in controlled portions. You can read more about the whole diet here.
So, after reading the book, Chad and I were kind of skeptical... you always hear about the super great success stories, "yeah I lost 13 pounds in two weeks," kind of thing. But there were so many of these success stories, so we were also kind of hopeful. At first, we were like, "well, what can we eat?" Especially because Chad is not a huge veggie eater, and this is a heavy-on-the-veggies diet. But I have really wanted to eat healthy, and wanted to eat a lot of fresh veggies, (that's why we have a small garden growing) and this was a great way to do it. We also have wanted to try some new recipes, because I have been in a serious recipe slump. The South Beach diet has several recipe books, and they are filled with gourmet recipes that are delish. I especially like the Quick and Easy cookbook. So, we started eating more veggies and trying new foods, and we are eating really well, and also improving our culinary skills. (Like, I have never used a broiler pan and the broiler in our oven before in my life... never used freshly ground black pepper, never knew what spices work well for what flavors.) We're learning a lot... I was amazed the first time I ever made a lettuce wrap and ate it (that was last week)... it was as great and as satisfying, without the bread. I think I actually prefer not having bread. I was amazed to find out with this diet, it's not that bad. Sugar free jello tastes about the same as regular... so does Fat Free Cool Whip. Being on this diet, is, dare I say, kind of fun, especially that we're working on it together. Sure, the first couple days were hard... I'm a big fan of ice cream, and not having some every night, was hard... but by now, gasp, I really don't feel like I need it, like I used to. Admittedly, recent days have been hard in their own way... I have been feeling like I really really REALLY want one of those cookies on the counter, but I have gotten much better at self control now also, a BIG vice of mine, and it's easier to say no. Chad is even better at it than I am.
So, now, you might be wondering how well we're losing on the diet. I am happy to report that we are in day 10 of Phase 1, and Chad and I have lost a combined total of 17 pounds! I'm not kidding, and I'm so proud of us for doing so well, especially Chad. I have high hopes that we will continue to lose weight and feel really good. I feel like we can do it. I'm not sorry to have given up these foods. So far, it has been worth it. But, with all of that said, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy when I can again have my beloved PB&J, come Wednesday morning, when the two weeks are up. :) I'll just have half of one, instead of a whole, on whole grain bread. :) I can't wait.
20 comments:
wow Kristin, maybe I should try that diet. Matt can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound. He's actually close to his High school weight...it makes me sick. I use to be pretty consistent in my weight...but that was before Brayden.
Keep up the great work and well, I might have to borrow the book from you. I hear you when it comes to the slump about recipes.
That is awesome. Good job for you guys!! I don't think Mike would do too hot on that diet considering his main staple is potatoes! I guess that's what you get growing up on a farm!! I am trying to lose weight right now too. Mike on the other hand needs to GAIN weight, he's too skinny and eats so much yet still loses. I don't get it! But awesome job you guys!! I can't wait to hear more about all your success!
South Beach is one of the healthier diets out there. It is true that you get used to not having 'junk' and you no longer crave it. I am at the point now where I don't even like white bread, white pasta or white rice because I am so used to whole grain everything. My kids and I haven't eaten any kind of burger joint fast food (we still hit Chick-fil-A every once in a while but get the fruit instead of fries) for almost a year and none of us miss it at all... in fact them smell grosses me out pretty bad now.
I suggest peanut butter without hydro-veg oil when you eat those again... make sure you get the spreadable kind though or you will have to eat it on toasted bread.
Don't you also FEEL better in addition to having lost weight... that is the best part of eating healthy!
congrats to you! I may have to hit you up for some pointers come June. Once this baby's here I'm going to have my work cut out for me, and it sounds like you're having success and enjoying it! Keep up the good work.
kristin! i've been waiting for you to blog about this. i was inspired by you and decided to get on track. i wanted to put my bodybugg to good use, though, and decided that i'd cut out carbs for the first few days for a boost and then see what happens. i've learned that i love lean lunch meat (i know, me who doesn't eat meat very often). one of my favorite meals is spinach salad with torn up pieces of turkey lunchmeat and some Kraft sundried tomato something dressing - it's like 100 calories total for this deliciousness.
i need to call you in my weaker moments. i have also been working so hard on saying no, and yesterday i was particularly proud when we came here to heber to watch Julianne's kids and i ate only ONE of her homemade oreo cookies (which are amazing) because i knew i didn't have enough calories left over for anymore. and then i ate one for breakfast today knowing that i wanted two of them, so i just need to leave enough calories at the end of the day for another one.
and...i've lost 3-4 pounds this week, just from calories in vs. calories out and making sure i have at least a 1,000 calorie deficit. it's been really really hard at times, but i'm feeling good.
so yeah! i'm proud of you and chad and i totally know what you're going through - i'm not doing the south beach diet but i've used it to find healthy, low cal food options and i know what it's like to just have to say "no"!
good for you! dang girl. I'm a chub...weighed the most I've weighed in my life, but Steven's going to run the Moab marathon in October with the men in his family so we're going to train together...I'm not running it though, just him. :)
wow! a combined 17 pounds in 10 days..good for y'all! sounds like it's so much easier when you are doing it together. you enjoy that sandwich on wednesday..every bite! :)
Good for you guys, that's awesome. You will make the rest of us look bad at Lake Powell. My friend is a personal trainer, and she is going to teach me how to lift weights. So, don't be surprised if you see me bulking up...;) Just kidding. But, she really is going to teach me how to lift weights. Anyway, have fun and keep us posted!
Way to go! I am so impressed. Maybe I need to try something like that. Somehow the cookies just call my name a little too loud sometimes and my will power goes down the drain! Keep up the great work.
wow thats awesome! keep up the good work!
You're awesome! I was definitely impressed with your diligence last weekend. Way to go!
Wow, I am impressed! I love peanut butter and jellys so much too! My mom makes fun of me for still eating them! Have you founf it easy to find the healthy ingredients you need at our stores out here? Good for you!
I am defintely impressed. Maybe I need to try that1!!
i'm proud of the weight loss. i think i'm too lazy or i just like food too much to seriously diet. i'm trying to cut out ice cream for us so i guess we're on a no ice cream at home diet for a little bit. does that count?
Dang! bravo! No easy task. Share the lettuce wrap recipe..sounds like a winner!
I swore that I wouldn't get pregnant again after mallory until I was back to my pre pregnancy weight. I did south beach and lost it all so quick. Now we have a third. I love that meal plan. It is SO great. Congrats to both of you.
I haven't had a pbj for awhile, but I'm suddenly craving one. Strange how that works. Good job on the diet. I think I could get into that. I'll send you a link my sister sent me on cooking with whole grains. I've started paying attention to the ingredients in food and am trying to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. For as good as it tastes, it turns out to be pretty bad for you. That stuff is in everything! Ketchup, barbeque sauce, yogurt, and on and on. Anyway. Let's have a healthy lunch someday!
If you're out of eggs, give us a call...i'd like to try your flax seed pancakes...or maybe not!I'm proud of you two!
I have heard so many good things about the South Beach Diet. Several of the ladies at school do it. I just never seem to get around to it, but hopefully the success you and Chad have had will give me courage.
Keep up the good work! I am so proud of you!
So, did you have the PB&J today or what? Don't leave us hangin'!
Post a Comment