Time to Homeschool
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm actually pretty content knowing it didn't happen until now. Or maybe it did and I just didn't know.
We have heard all sorts of potty words come out of Aubrey's mouth since she started kindergarten. Most of them we just laugh for a minute and then get serious and say, "we don't say that." Now, this time, I am starting to wonder.... We were jumping on the trampoline having a great time when I saw dozens of lovebugs stuck in the net of the tramp. So I went over and starting flicking them off with my fingers. Horrified, Aubrey yells to me, "Mom stop!" And I was confused because Aubrey is not a friend to bugs and I didn't know why she would object. I said, thinking she didn't understand, "Aubs, they're BUGS!" And she said, as if I didn't know, "mom, they're making a BABY!" (and she was clearly horrified, as I said, that I was disturbing them in that job.) I was sort of flabbergasted and speechless for a second, knowing that surely I had not told her that. But who did and what exactly did they say? Aubrey answered my question really before I could ask, she must have known she was talking about something she didn't really understand, and she simply said "Jacob in my class told me." Well, Jacob, whoever you are, what you said was quite enough, thankyouverymuch. I know they're called lovebugs, and essentially, that was a good simple explanation, but it was just sort of disturbing to hear that from my daughter. We really haven't had The Talk, we've sort of just talked about things as we go. But it's times like this I remember she is going to school with kids of all different backgrounds, with parents that sometimes have different values, and a lot of them have older siblings that they learn about things from. It's so important to teach Aubrey right and wrong now, so she knows ahead of time, and I need to try to be the kind of parent Aubrey feels comfortable asking questions to, so she doesn't have to find out from her friends or the internet or somewhere else. It kind of freaks me out. I feel like I was sheltered growing up and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I would like Aubrey to be the same way. So, how do I do that and still send Aubrey to public schools? It's not like this was an earth-shattering experience or anything, but it just got me thinking...
9 comments:
Wow! Well, I've talked with my friends about this and it's so sad that we have to teach our kids younger and younger these days about things like that. If not, they learn from kids at school and who knows if it's right or what weird things they're learning. Just be open with her and let her know if she has ANY kind of questions that she can ask you. You and Chad are very open people, I'm sure she feels comfortable talking to you! How fun, gotta love that the kids are getting older!
wow that would indeed be intense. and I really have no idea what you should tell her. so are you going to homeschool her or keep her in public school? let us know what you decide to do.
Gosh did you just stop and think, "Are we really at this point already?" I think about that all the time and wonder if it will have to be kindergarten when we spill the beans...good luck!
I haven't heard too many crazy things from my first grader, but think of it as opening up opportunities for conversations and to explain things your way.
Man, makes me kinda nervous for next year. I have no advice for you, just good luck and keep the lines of communication open. Hopefully she'll always feel comfortable talking to you about things.
That's crazy...I can't believe when she's so young they're already talking about that at school. But as the church manual says...sex education is best taught in the home...so I guess that's just what you've gotta do?? Good luck on THAT one...love you lots!
i read all these last night so that's why i'm doing rapid-fire comments. i read this out loud to natedog and we laughed so hard. it IS hard with all those lovebugs flyin' around makin' babies...i wonder how many "talks" they have instigated with little children wondering what the crap they're doing
and the word verification thing is making me type "guzbtbb" which sounds funny if you say it to yourself
Yeah, um, I got nothing. :( Sorry- I can usually come up with some sort of advice, but I got nothing. :(
Too bad little Jacob wasn't taught that they are "tractor-trailer rigs" instead...
Mama Stolle
Post a Comment