All Things...
I am so excited that our crape myrtle is blooming! We planted it in our backyard shortly after Caitlyn passed away. We wanted to have a reminder of her, something that was beautiful, vibrant, and growing. Like the rest of us, the tree has grown a lot since October, and it is now just starting to bloom. Soon the tree will explode with pretty pink flowers like these that have already appeared. I especially like that they are pink. We purposely put it almost squarely in the middle of our backyard, so we can see it even from the front of the house if we look out the window. Yay for pretty flowers!In other news, it was Aubrey's field day last week. I wanted to include this next picture, not because it looks like Andrew fell seconds after this picture was taken, but because it shows Aubrey's two best friends at school, Eisha (on the right) and Leila, (in the middle). These three girls have quite the adventures at school, judging by what Aubrey tells me. Aubrey is going to have a hard time this summer without these two girls attached at the hip. I ask Aubrey from time to time if she ever wants to have them over, and she says, "no," like it doesn't occur to her that friends from school would ever come to our house. Maybe we'll get their phone numbers, who knows. But it was fun to see these girls interact at field day. I don't know who the boys are in the picture, but Aubs doesn't care much for boys these days.
Aubrey was supposed to bring a towel, but oops, I forgot, but it's okay, Eisha shared her little hand towel with Aubrey and Leila. What a nice friend.
This was some kind of weird four way tug-o-war, where they pulled and whoever touched the cone behind them first, won. I don't know what it is about kindergarteners yanking on a rope, but it was sure funny to watch. The teachers kind of got into competition with each other, and so Mrs. McCauley was really coaching her students to win. "If you fall down, don't let go of the rope! Keep pulling!" They had several rounds with Mrs. McCauley chanting "Pull! Pull! Pull!" Aubrey's class won once, and that was especially funny to see them all jumping up and down. They were excited. Aubrey is getting so long and leggy I don't think she knows what to do with herself sometimes, and she was having a hard time pulling on the rope and getting any leverage. Once in the clip, you can see, she looks behind her like, "how close are we, anyway?"
I also appreciated when all the children were running back to the hill and the coach (this is the one I held hands with at Rodeo Day) reminds a little too late, "remember, don't drop the rope!" And Aubrey looks down to where it is laying by her feet. I guess you can't expect celebrating Kindergarteners to remember every single detail.
Speaking of celebrating, last weekend, we took a trip to San Antonio, because my cousin Tyler was coming down from Utah to visit my sister and I. We were very excited because although we spent a lot of growing up time together and saw him a ton when we lived in Provo, we haven't seen him as much as we would like since we moved back to Texas. He is graduating from high school and decided to take a little trip to Texas to visit us. (which by the way is so weird that he is graduating because I distinctly remember being in Utah and holding him shortly after he came home from the hospital as a tiny newborn. I guess that means I'm getting old.) So anyway, we went to the Alamo... ... And the Riverwalk. I regret to say I never was in any pictures with Tyler. Oh well, next time...
And Aubrey wasn't in any pictures with Tyler either, but she didn't want to be in pictures at all. This was her in protest. Just imagine her little voice, "I am NOT going to smile!" I actually love these pictures because it is Aubrey is a nutshell.
Sassy....
And sweet... Oh man, I love that girl.
We also stopped by this place in San Antonio... We had to have a Custard Smackdown, because Tyler works at Nielsen's Custard in Bountiful, which sells delicious concretes of all flavors. So we wanted to see how Freddy's stacked up. Freddy's used the same machine and same method as Nielsen's, and even called their creations Conretes like Nielsen's, but you can tell by Tyler's face that he didn't think Freddy's tasted the same as Nielsen's. I'm always up for ice cream though, and not too particular either. In fact, I ate most of mine, and then most of Aubrey's cone after she enjoyed about two licks.
All in all, the whole weekend was fun. We're so glad you came, Tyler!!!
Now we're looking forward to the end of the school year. Chad will be done next week and Aubrey the week after. We have fun summertime plans ahead including another trip to San Antonio, and a trip to Lake Powell. I am so excited for summer and for the departure from the school year routine. Hopefully there will be lots of swimming and fun times ahead. I feel like I got a sneak preview of summer over the weekend and I am excited for more to come.
12 comments:
I love that you planted that beautiful tree to remember your little one. Pretty and pink!
I love how that school has field day all day! My other school only did it part day. How cute that you got a picture of her with her friends. I know it must have been fun to finally meet them. :)
that tree is beautiful.
So did andrew actually fall after that picture was taken? They looked like they had so much fun in the tug-o-war. Oh field day.
That picture of Aubs trying not to smile is fabulous. She looks like she is having so much fun in the first one. Precious.
I glad you included a picture of your crape myrtle; I have heard people talk about them but never knew what they looked like. That is such a neat reminder of Caitlyn.
My kids did the same weird 4 way tug-of-war. I felt like it couldn't be that regulated - I am sure that sometimes the ropes started out closer to the cone...
i love the tree and am glad it is blooming. it will be so pretty. also glad san antonio was a fun trip. hopefully the girls will get to play lots this summer.
I got a little teary looking at the crape myrtle...it looks beautiful. I'm glad it's back there.
That field day clip was absolutely hilarious...so great. That little thing doesn't have any weight to pull with so she just got yanked around...so great. And yes, the trip was terrific. I'm glad you came as it made the weekend that much more fun. And I can't wait for your return. I've had all kinds of ideas this week on stuff we can do :). Love ya!
Oh, I so wish we could have been there too! I was already jealous, but the pictures made me more jealous. Also, I love those ones of Aubs. I think you're right, they portray her just right.
That crepe myrtle is beautiful. It is a perfect reminder of Caitlyn.
I too am excited for summer, unfortunately I don't think it will ever arrive here in Utah. It was like 50 degrees today and yesterday. Ugh.
i didn't even know tyler was going down there! i wish i could've been there!
I didn't know Tyler was going down there either! That's crazy. Looks like fun, I loved the pictures too. Beautiful tree to remember that beautiful babin'!
I keep wanting to call Chad- Master Chad. Anyway, we just went to San Antonio and I wish I had known about Freddys. Next time I'll be making a stop.
I love your crape myrtle. What a wonderful reminder of your precious little girl.
Fun pics of field day. We are anxious for school to end so Aubrey can come play at our house. Mmm, maybe we should have an end of year slumber party!!!
Looks like San Antonio was fun. I've never heard of Freddy's. Do you ever do Connie's Custard? (I think that's what it's called. over on Jones Rd)
I love your crape myrtle. What a wonderful reminder of your precious little girl.
Fun pics of field day. We are anxious for school to end so Aubrey can come play at our house. Mmm, maybe we should have an end of year slumber party!!!
Looks like San Antonio was fun. I've never heard of Freddy's. Do you ever do Connie's Custard? (I think that's what it's called. over on Jones Rd)
There is no way to tell you how much I miss all of you. I'm so glad you posted pictures of Master Chad and SA, I'd been thinking of you often those weekends. The field day pics and video are great, I especially loved how they were so excited when they won.
Post a Comment