Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Mama needs to go back to First Grade, too

Now that it's August, I am starting to get back into school mode and want to refresh Aubrey's memory on some school subjects. She's very confident in her reading skills, and I wonder if by accident, we minimized the importance of the other subjects. Since I was never particulary good at math, this is one I am hitting hard for her. I was browsing the internet to find some printable math worksheets for first grade. I found one, designated for first grade, which, I am sorry to say, was too complicated for me at first glance. At the risk of embarrassing myself, here are some of the questions. (Feel free to take this little quiz yourself, but don't look at me to give you the right answers...)

Math Who Am I? Worksheet
Read the description of the math term below. Try to guess what it is. Then circle the third letter of the word in the box to the right.

1. I am a numeral that means nothing. I am a ?
2. I am used to measure capacity. When there are 8 of me, I make a gallon. I am a ?
3. I am a closed curved line. Every point on me in the same distance from my center. I am a ?
4. I am a table that shows the day, week, month and year. I am a ?
5. I am a polygon with three sides and three angles. I am a ?
6. You will always find me when you subtract two numbers. I am the ?
7. I am the place where two lines or surfaces meet. I am a ?
8. I am a shape made up of four straight sides and four right angles. I am a ?

Honestly when I see words like "polygon" I just start to zone out. Has my brain really turned to mush? You know how it's true how pregnant women lose brain cells? Well, I think I lost more than my fair share, and didn't ever get them back! How in the world did I ever graduate from college when I still find it a struggle to add or subtract more than just single digits in my head, much less know what a polygon is. It's a good thing Chad is a gifted mathmetician, because it appears this is the grade in which Aubrey surpasses me in math knowledge.

Now give me a worksheet like this, and I'd pass with flying colors:

Math Who am I Worksheet, the Stay At Home Mommy version:

1. I am the number of piles of laundry in your house. I am ?
2. You will always find me, dirty, in the sink. I am ?
3. This is the number of diapers you change every day. I am ?
4. When your daughter cries about having to use the Cars toothpaste instead of the Barbie toothpaste, how many crocodile tears have been shed before her teeth are clean. I am ?
5. After the fifth sibling fight of the day, this is how many hairs you pull out of your head. I am ?
6. This is a room in your house with four walls, also known as the privy, that you hide in for five minutes peace. I am the ?
7. If your son throws 20 raisins on the floor, and then throws his 25 piece fruit cup across the room, how many food particles have just been wasted? (Bonus Question: how many minutes will it take to clean it all up?)
8. This is the number of times you call your husband to ask when he is coming home. I am ?
9. This is the number of minutes until nap time:
10. This is the number of times you have said "get your finger out of your nose". I am ?
11. This is the number of toys strewn about your house (feel free to use triple digits here). I am a ?
12. This is the number of books you have read to your children today:
13. This is the number of times you have laughed your head off at something your kids have said:
14. This is the number of little people in your house that, although they sometimes drive you nuts, you love them like crazy anyway. I am ?

That's first grade math for the real world.

14 comments:

allison said...

hahaha, that was funny. I agree...I don't know much math either...and stuff like dividing fractions, I still don't think I can do that...

Whitney said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out loud at the second half. Thanks for sharing. :) You make me realize my life is normal!

Braden Bell said...

Good for you, Kristin. Who does polygons in first grade? Sheesh.

Christy said...

I love your mommy list... you always make me smile :)

Jana said...

That was awesome. You should send that into Parent Magazine. All Moms can relate. Just a thought.

Lisa said...

AHAHAHAHAAA!! That's so great. Math might not be your best subject, but your writing is sure entertaining and very easy to relate to.

Lindsay said...

That was great. It was fun to remember what it's like in your world. I agree with Lis. Your writing skills are the gift you'll gift Super.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

ditto, that made me laugh

travelingtxmom said...

I am lol with tears in my eyes after that one! You are too funny sometimes, but yep, that is mommy math in the real world, keep up the good work. Love you!

Julia said...

HAHA your list was awesome. I laughed at so many of them. Very creative!

scraphappymama said...

oh so true. good math list, do you think we could pass?!?!?! thanks for making me smile and thanks for pizookie night the other day too; i needed that!!!

mommymoocow said...

Great mommy math quiz! I loved it!

Anonymous said...

that was so funny!!!

and that first one was a little tricky...

Carrie said...

That was absolutely hilarious! That sounds more like the math I do on a daily basis, even without kids.