Saturday, September 27, 2008

Good Riddance!

That is the only way to aptly describe my (now-ended) relationship with these:




Look closely, and you will see the bunny ears for our television. If at any time it has looked nice in our living room, atop our entertainment center, I can't remember when that was. In its heyday, it at least had all its parts. However, in recent years, one side of the antennae broke off, not from lack of care and attention, because we can attest to the TLC we have given this piece of junk over the years. But its one missing antennae was a problem, so we inserted a hanger in its place, twisted around and bent at will when we hoped to achieve a better picture. You might also notice the aluminum foil, crinkled/attached on the top, and sometimes on both sides, with the same hope. At best, we had a very fuzzy, almost visible NBC, fuzzy CBS and FOX, and a pretty good ABC most of the time. The other channels were hit and miss. Frequently, you would see me standing on the arm of our couch, doing this:



which also was referred to as "working my magic," (and was sometimes accompanied with a scowl on my face) because I had a special talent for getting a very fuzzy snowy screen to be only kinda fuzzy. (And please ignore the fact that I look pregnant in the above picture.)

Chad has toyed with the idea of getting some sort of cable from time to time, and we always dismissed it, because, 1., we don't watch that much TV; 2., we were afraid we'd watch more TV; and 3., we just really don't watch that much TV, and didn't want to pay the price. But here's my secret: I miss watching my Cougars. So, last week, after getting on the arm of our couch for the fifty millionth zillionth time, to work my magic, I got fed up. I told Chad to call somebody and get us good reception on our TV, and please do it before BYU plays Utah State. Well, good ole Chad, has been saving offers from different companies for quite some time now, comparing offers and such. (I think he was just waiting for me to get fed up so then I would force him into doing something he needed no force to do at all.) And he called right up, and they installed DirectTV on Thursday at an extremely good price. Now, all of our 600 channels come in crystal clear. And we get to watch all the BYU games we want, and other college football too. And the Astros! And we get to record games and various other things I've never heard of, such as The Unbeatable Banzuke, to watch later. I've never been happier in TV land. So far, we haven't watched more TV than we used to, except for the day we got it, when we were giddy with all the shows we could watch, which included a show on how hotel doors are made. And I'll tell you who really is enjoying it...

Any fellow BYU fans are welcome to come to our house. We'll be watching!

8 comments:

Christy said...

I honestly don't know how anyone lives with out cable or the internet these days (not that you didn't have internet... I just have friends who don't still.)

I'm with you about not watching much but the awesome thing about DVR is you can record what you really really want to watch, watch it when it's a good time and you don't have to watch the commercials so you save time.

YAY for you and your new toy!

Sunnie said...

i feel like that will be my attitude when i get rid of our car. good riddance little red car. you will not be missed. glad you joined us in the 21st century. we don't miss our bunny ears one bit!

allison said...

Alright, good for you guys! I cracked up real hard at that picture of you and made it as big as I could so I could look at your lovely face.

Lindsay said...

Well, way to go. It was pretty funny to see you balancing precariously on the couch, trying to adjust the antennae ears. I'm glad I got to see that in person before the show ended. Enjoy those Cougs and no commercials!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

hahah, i particularly enjoyed the scowl on your face in that picture...

Lisa said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cougars! Now Aubrey can watch Nick Jr. cartoons to her heart's content. I am sure you will get tired of Dora verrrry quickly...I hate that show. :) Or, maybe 6 year old are over Dora. Anyway, ss for watching more TV, we have had satellite since we lived in this house, and we still do not watch much TV. It's just a habit, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

you may not watch much tv, but i guarantee that you will never want to go without dvr again. i hope that show about the bezunke or whatever was funny

Carrie said...

that was hilarious. wish we could find a free deal here. we only have like 5 channels. but we can still watch the red raiders play!