Friday, September 05, 2008

It's not like we haven't been doing anything...

It just all seems like it's the same old kind of thing these days. Not a bad thing, however; it just leaves little interesting to blog about.

I guess that's not all true, because Andrew alone is enough to spice up anyone's life. For example, in the past few weeks, I have found him here:


(We managed to save all those wipes, nearly a brand new package full)

And here:


(We managed to save him from wiping out)

And just today, he spilled out a whole container of trail mix onto the carpet and a package of crackers onto the kitchen floor. And it's only noon. Whose genius idea was it to have snacks at the kid's level anyway? (Hint: It was mine).

A picture I don't have and maybe wish I did happened the other day. After brushing his teeth, I gave him a little Dixie cup of water to drink out of (since he loves drinking from regular cups, this is his reward... since "brushing his teeth" is a euphemism for the much less pleasant, me pinning him down straight-jacket style, to brush his teeth for him). Well, after giving him the cup, I left the bathroom for, literally, five seconds, and when I come back... he is dipping his dixie cup IN THE TOILET!!! Just scooping and pouring water. I'm really not sure if he drank any. I haven't seem any evidence of parasites, so I think we dodged a bullet there.

This was a fun game I caught on video a couple weeks ago when some friends came over to play. Andrew loves Jada and they had a fun time playing together, a three way version of peekaboo, with Andrew pushing Jada back down to hide. It seems a little like he's manhandling her at some points in this video, but don't worry, no babies were harmed in the production of this film. They both were having a great time.



I also want to personally thank Julie de Azevedo Coleman, for creating the Signing Time DVDs, and teaching my son the word "No!"



It's really okay though. I'm pretty sure he did pick up the word no from these shows, but he's also picked up a lot of other words and signs. And anyway, Andrew loves them. He laughs the minute he sees the menu come on. After coming home from walking Aubrey to school, he watches it. And then watches it again. The "two times in a row" is absolutely necessary. Then he can go about his day. If we don't watch it twice in a row, he will point to the TV all day long. As it is, he already would probably watch it all day long on repeat, if I let him. I do let him watch it a couple times, because I think not only has it taught him many signs, it has taught him words too, and his vocabulary is really coming along, like today he said "nose" out of the blue, while we were playing. So we are encouraged by his progress.

Last weekend we went to San Antonio to see Lindsay and Ritchie and with good intentions of going to Sea World. But then Chad and Ritchie decided to turn on some football, and Sea World went out the window. And then this is what we saw most of the weekend:



They slept most of the weekend, with football on in the background. No matter, Lindsay, Aubrey and I were busy making puppets most of the weekend. A nice throwback from my childhood. Next time we get together, we might even make the stage.



Aubrey got to play with Rylee, the daughter of one of Lindsay's good friends in her ward/neighborhood. Aubrey has become friends with her and always asks to see her when we are there. We built a fort and that was fun.



We went to their ward's Labor Day picnic, and Chad, the big strong manly man played stick pull.





He makes me so proud! :) He would have made a great pioneer, for that reason alone.

And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for. Just kidding. I finished my first attempt at Cream Cheese, and it turned out great!!! I was really excited. It's so easy, you just wrap two cups of yogurt in cheesecloth in a strainer and let the whey drip off for two days. (And note to self: be careful next time you pull the strainer out so you don't spill the whey all over the kitchen floor. Who knew that whey was SO sticky?) I used my own yogurt, and was pleased to find that the cream cheese is sweet, and has a lot of flavor and will be delicious on a bagel, or with crackers. (Nevermind that it slightly resembles a ball of sticky tack). Yummy. I am going to depart for a while from my milk products experimentation because I am going to tackle a new frontier, the the exciting world of soapmaking.



One final thing I wanted to add was, I finished Breaking Dawn. I was sort of iffy about reading it at all, because I had gotten bored with the series after the second and third one, but I was pleasantly suprised to find that I liked this one! I was happy with the way the story progressed and even though at points I felt like the plot stalled a little, overall, it was fun to read and maybe my favorite one of the whole series. Now I'm reading the Screwtape Letters, a book I've read parts of years ago, but never the whole thing. Such an interesting book.

Anyway, today is the day I go volunteer in Aubrey's classroom, so we will see how that turns out. Everyone have a happy day!

12 comments:

Sunnie said...

man that jada sure is cute. her mom must be one good looking lady. those were some nice puppets you guys made- i'm impressed. and i also want to know what inspired the adventures in homemade cream cheese. that is an interesting one! glad it turned out. also, i don't think we can be friends because i don't really like breaking dawn. i'm glad you liked it, but i definitely had my issues with it.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

oh my goodness, i don't think it is possible to love that little boy any more, love love love him. jada is adorable! i remember you showing me really cute pictures of her as a smaller baby.

you have been busy. i only hope that one day i can be as talented as my sisters in their yogurt/cheese and now soap making! some day, some day...

123 checkoutourfamily said...

Wow, you've been busy! You're like super mom or something. Puppets, cream cheese...wow! I guess I'm not quite as domestic :) but I'd like to learn.

I'm on the 2nd book and it's hard for me to pick it up and put it down. I have to finish a chapter at least and that's not always possible. I told Matt I was tired last night and took it and lay down. He came in later and said,"I thought you said you were tired." Well of course I was tired but I had to finish the chapter :)

Julia said...

Okay, really, Andrew's smile is so cute in that first picture- it makes it hard to be mad, huh? And also- you are totally supermom/wife/woman. All your homemade dairy products just blow me away- I would never be brave enough to try them! Fun, fun that you went to SA to visit your sister- although too bad Sea World didn't happen. Oh well, makeing puppets with your sister and daughter is a great substitute activity. :)

Jana said...

I am so happy to say I know someone that makes their own cream cheese. Its a great icebreaker at parties. I bet if I popped in right now I would find you churning butter. Looking forward to my next visit with you guys. Buy the way the video is way cute.

travelingtxmom said...

That little brother man is too cute, and into too much trouble, what fun! The Andrew/Jada video was adorable, and I loved Aubs running in and cheering for her dad at the end of the Chad clip. I think I'm going to have to get some cheesecloth somewhere so I can make my own cream cheese, it's like $6 here for about 8 oz., so I don't buy much of it, but then again I rarely find bagels to put it on. Anyways, I love the post, and you too!

Anonymous said...

you are amazing!! I havent even started my yogurt endeavor yet. I told the girls at work what you are doing and one of them said "she must not work" it made me laugh so hard!!

Christy said...

Have I ever told you how cool I think you are? Making yogurt and cheese and puppets... what next?

I love the picture of Andrew with the wipes... You'd think by the look on his face that he was holding money or something... maybe wipes are toddler currency.

Lindsay said...

Those kids ARE cute. That little boy is getting bigger everyday. I'm glad you came to visit, we had a great time and Chad redeemed RJ by beating the guy who beat hit at stick pull. And our ward still wants you to move in. I'm glad the puppets were a success and also the cream cheese. You go girl!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

Wow, what cute puppets! I think they are better than Sea World! You are so talented with all your dairy product projects! I guess the dairy business is in your genes!

Lisa said...

Okay, I think that if we put Kara and Andrew together, unsupervised for a couple hours, they could REALLY cause some serious damage. Kara is doing some very similar mischevious things around our house. Mostly, I try to laugh about it. When I saw that picture of Andrew with the wipes, I definitely laughed.

Your puppets are awesome. I love the pom pom earrings! I'm definitely going to spice up my puppets with some pom poms.

allison said...

Your children are the cutest!! I hope our babies are as cute as my sisters' babies are. And I love how Aubs runs up in that second video screaming "DADDYYYYYY!" after he wins. Looks like you guys had fun.

And that cream cheese is lookin' awesome man...you'll have to let us know how soap making goes too!