Thursday, October 02, 2008

I'm a nerd.

So, I'm reading a book. This is not earth shattering news. I read books as much as free time permits. But this time it's different. This time it's not just any book. I'll give you a hint... it's not fiction, it's not an autobiography, it's not a children's book. And it's very, very long. Any guesses?


It's an encyclopedia. AN ENCYCLOPEDIA! What the heck am I thinking? It's The Encyclopedia of Country Living, and (this is why I am classified as a nerd, if it wasn't already apparent), I am really enjoying reading it. It basically tells you everything, and I mean everything you need to know about the self-sufficient style of living. I love it! I'm on page 67 of about 900, and here are some of the topics I have covered so far: keeping food cool in hot weather, edible and useful plants, and giving birth by yourself. (That last one was very interesting, but I hope never to do that). The thing is, I might never live "off the land" in every way, but, the thing is, a lot of that info is relevant for me. I know, you might be thinking, "what's a nice girl like you learning about water irrigation and animal husbandry for?" But stay with me... When we had that hurricane come through, I would have liked to know some of the things presented in this book, like, keeping food cool without a refrigerator. It's useful information. Not to mention very interesting. And there's 833 more pages for me to read. I'm so excited!

For those who are all thinking, "I'm so glad she's finally realized this, we've known it all along," I just nod and finally concede, yes, I'm a nerd.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

well that all sounds very interesting. glad you are enjoying it. let us all know if there is anything we should all know!

Quite Content said...

So how do you keep food cool with out a fridge? I might have to borrow that from you when you are finished being enlightened.

Julia said...

okay actually it sounds really interesting! this is my nerdy encyclopedia confession: when i was like 12 and we got a full world book encyclopedia set, i sat down and on my own- without anyone asking/telling me to- i wrote a whole report, like book report style, on sam houston. haha. what a nerd!!
i like the concept of your book though. you'll have to share some good tips on your blog.

Sunnie said...

i don't think i can be friends with a nerd:) that is hilarious that you are reading that book and loving it. but i definitely know where i'm walking in the next emergency... right around the corner. and you and i together can live off the land. you provide the knowledge, and i'll provide, well, probably nothing noteworthy, maybe good company???

Anonymous said...

I remember making butter at a Primary activity one time -- we all took turns shaking a jar of milk or cream or something. You have to shake long and hard, but it worked!

Kirkhams said...

I'm always excited to see what you're going to conjure up next from this book of yours! I do have to say I don't know anyone else that has made their own cream cheese! That is from that book/encyclopedia isn't it? When's the soap making happening?

I loved your ironies of life post! It's one worth using in a lesson!

allison said...

Hey good for you...and I always new you were anyways. Let us know if there's anything good in there, because Heaven knows I won't be reading that puppy!

Slim said...

Well you are a very funny nerd. Enjoyed reading this post and that book is HUGE!!! Hmmm, sounds like good Enrichment activity stuff.

travelingtxmom said...

I don't think you're a nerd, you just have this urge to gain knowledge It actually sounds like something I'd like to read too so I guess we could be nerds together.