Sunday, November 09, 2008

Aubrey's grasp of language

Aubrey knows many words, and always has. She can be a chatterbox, a motormouth, she can run her mouth off, she can talk talk talk. Sometimes I have to remind her to breathe. Sometimes it makes me tired just listening. When she was little, it was fun to see what kinds of words would come out of her mouth next, because I really never knew.


Now that's she a little older, she still says things that make me laugh, but she's gaining a more complex vocabulary that include colloqialisms and idioms and other interesting things. She learns a word, then stores it in her brain for later use, and sometimes it comes back out wrong. I love these.

Here's a sampling of recent Aubrey -isms:


(When we were making a fort in the family room): "We're dwelting in a tent!"


(Talking about subjects in school): "Math slash Reading slash Music"


(Sometimes when Chad comes home, we sing "Hail the Conquering Hero." We did not know Aubrey misunderstood until we heard her version): "Hail the honkering hero"

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Those were funny! It's fun to see her language skills grow. I'm always laughing at the stuff she comes up with.

Christy said...

The funny things kids say are my FAVORITE. This time is so precious, I wish I could slow the clock.

allison said...

AHahhaha, Oh man...I love that those still come from Aubs!! I thought she was maybe done with those things and Lisa's posts were making up for it because I get such a kick out of it...I'm so happy you posted that. I'm in a computer lab and I had to check myself not to laugh out loud. Love you guys!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

hahaha, i'd have loved to have been dwelting in that tent with her!

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh that's hilarious. It's always interesting to hear what they think we're saying! At least she wasn't saying bad things! Lol.

Lisa said...

Too funny. Honkering hero...lol

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

At least she wasn't saying the Honking hero! She is too cute!

Anonymous said...

thats great!! i love it!