My heart (sandwich) breaks
On the first day back to school after the break, I decided to send a little surprise in Aubrey's lunch. Instead of a regular, slap-two-pieces-of-bread-together sandwich, I made Aubrey's sandwich in the shape of a heart, using a cookie cutter. I have been known to do this on rare occasions, using different shapes, with great success. Not only does it cut the crust off, which never gets eaten anyway, it's fun to think outside the (lunch)box. (ahem.) "Wow, it's so cute!" and "Aubrey's going to be surprised when she pulls this out!" Were the thoughts going through my head when I tucked her lunchbag into her backpack. I expected to hear to be pleasantly suprised at the shape of her sandwich at lunchtime. I expected to hear about it that afternoon when I picked her up. I expected the conversation to go something like this: "mom, I really liked that heart sandwich you sent in my lunch! That was fun!"
I did not expect her to come out of school that afternoon and immediately demand, not nearly as amused, and much less amused than I anticipated, "why did you make my sandwich a heart, mom?" She had been less than thrilled, apparently. I tried to explain I thought it would be fun and special. She said, "hmph. I didn't eat it." I said, "where is it?" And she produced it from her bag. It was, by now, less than heart shaped, and looked really quite sad, having been squashed by her water bottle. Trying to retain some of my dignity after having my good idea chewed up and spit out, I said enthusiastically, "well, I'll eat it!" And began to pull it out of the bag, with intentions of doing so. (And to make a point.) She was instantly perturbed for some reason that I would take her sandwich and eat it (nevermind she wanted nothing to do with the cute heart sandwich anyway). So I thought she had come to see that it was actually cute and special, and wanted to eat it herself. I never saw it after that.
I thought she ate it.
That night I began packing her lunchbag for the next morning. Guess what I found:
I'm confused. I guess I embarrassed her at lunch? I'll never know.
The next day she got a regular sandwich, crust and all.
18 comments:
I love it!
Oliver is always telling him that his friends tease him for how healthy his lunches are. I asked him if he liked the way they tasted and he said yes - then I asked him if he would prefer a school lunch and he said no. well kid, you can't have everything.
How funny - I wander went the teasing will begin at school for Kaylee. I hope not any time soon. I haven't blogged for so long, so fun to read up on all the stuff going on.
Oh no!! Ahaha, what a funny story...well...I wonder what was going through her head??? You can make a heart PB&J for me any time Kissy. :)
Oh yes...and did you eat it that night?? Shoot, I would have.
Kids are so funny...never pleased. And keep getting more and more mysterious! It was a nice thought...but I guess something she didn't love! Poor thing!
kids are so crazy! I wonder what was going on in her little head?
Geez Mom! Everyone knows you don't send a heart sand which! ;) The horror!
I thought you had a wondeful idea! It almost made me cry that she wouldn't eat it. I guess she is getting to be quite the big girl at school. I would still make her a heart sandwich at home!
Oh man. I think that would have hurt my feelings. I guess my skin needs to get thicker as the girls get older! And funny lunch box pun. I got it. ;)
awwww, is it really coming to this already?!! I thought it was a cute idea. I remember loving notes from mom in my lunchbag even into high school! haha, i think alli and i were the only seniors in high school whose mom still made our lunches. i support you in your heart-shaped sandwich making!
Oh man. I applaud your creativity...that girl... :)
Sad...I would have eaten the heart sandwich!
Kids are so funny...a total mystery. I would love a heart shaped sandwich.
Isn't that just like kids. You never can win!! Sorry the heart sandwich wasn't as big a hit as you wanted. Brooklyn did the same thing to be - except I sent her little PB&J sandwiches on mini-bagels. She got teased, and won't eat them anymore!! Go figure (and it's only kindergarten!!!)
I thought it was a great idea, ah well!
I have also gotten in trouble for what I have sent in a lunchbox! I really think the kids all look at what each other gets and make fun of each other if it is anything sweet from their mom. One kid called Blake a baby. I can't believe how early they are so brutal! Personally, I would love a heart sandwich without crust! You are an awesome mom and thoughtful lunch maker!
What a stinker!
I loved the way you wrote this! i would have eaten it! I wish someone would pack my lunch before I went to work!
Post a Comment