Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The novelty has worn off



Aubrey started piano about a month ago. Previous to her starting, she was asking me all the time, "when can I take piano lessons?" We had been on a waiting list for a talented piano teacher in the Klein ward since last May or June. Shortly after Christmas, she called up with a spot open. We jumped at the chance.

Because I took piano as a child, but quit and now regret it, I have vowed that my children will not be able to quit. Before taking Aubrey to her first lesson, where she began with the exact same books I used as a child (yes, Lazy Lion is still the number one song), we had a discussion about piano. I hit on three key points (no pun intended): 1. Not everyone takes piano, so this is a special privelege. 2. It's hard work, but it's really important to try your best. And 3., you will be taking piano until the age of 18, at which time, if you want to stop, you can. So, enjoy it, because it can be really fun.

She was excited for her first lesson, and warmed up to her teacher very quickly. She had a good lesson and I could see that she was proud of herself for the things she was doing right. She came home with a list of things to start practicing. I had in mind to keep piano practicing light, and fun, and generally enjoyable. Somehow I failed to see that "piano practice" and "fun" could not coexist. About day two of practicing is when things started going downhill. How soon it became a test of wills! She had wanted so badly to take piano until she began taking it! She's not the only one committed to this until she's 18... and for now, until she can see the benefit of playing the piano, I need to ensure that she practices. One night she cried for literally, ONE HOUR before she finally practiced her 15 minutes. She would not be reasoned with. She kept wailing, "how long until I'm 18? That takes tooo looooooooong!" (This was also about the time she had a few jabs towards me, guessing that in 11 years I was going to 97... thanks a lot, Aubs). I wanted to help her understand, what takes toooo looooong is when you cry for one hour before you practice 15 minutes. If you just buckle down and do it, it will be over before you know it. I suppose that understanding will come with time. My mom is probably shaking her head and smiling to herself, thinking sympathetically, "what goes around, comes around" because I know I badgered my mom about practicing way too much, which is probably the reason she let me quit. (Knowing as she did, that I would learn my lesson).

The day after the piano battle from you-know-where, I was determined to have a good experience, so I called up Grammie, and after school, Aubs and I went over to Grammie's house to give her a "concert." Aubrey played all of her songs without a single complaint. And she was good too. Before we all knew it, piano practice was over. Grammie, you were a lifesaver. Since that particular practice, we've had more issues about not wanting to practice, but I guess it comes with the territory. We let her decide when she wants to practice: before or after school. And we're giving her just about as many choices with regards to piano as we possibly can, so she feels some control over the whole thing. We have also promised to purchase a piano book of Disney songs (that she wanted) that she can learn to play after a set amount of time. And it's getting better. We're making progress.

The thing is, it's so good for Aubrey to do something that is her own. And so good for her to do something she has to work at, and try hard. There are a lot of things that have come easily to Aubrey, like reading, but piano is a skill she can learn and try hard and feel a sense of accomplishment over. So we're sticking with it! Wish us both luck, for the next 11 years. (And that's just Aubrey...)

10 comments:

Whitney said...

I got the giggles thinking about her crying for an hour to practice for 15 minutes! Way to stick with it. We are thinking about putting Noah in piano lessons but he is 10 so we would only have 8 years until the magic age of 18. :) I also wish my parents had made me keep playing the piano. Good luck!

Court and Jill said...

Aren't girls drama? Good luck with the piano practicing. She will be glad later!

Christy said...

Good for you... piano is such a useful skill. Oli was like this about reading and finally gave up whining when he figured out it wasn't going to get him anywhere.

travelingtxmom said...

You were right, I was shaking my head and smiling...in a sad sort of way. I'd love to hear a long distance concert every once in a while. Way to stick with it Mom and Dad, we all know she'll be happy that you did...eventually!

Lisa said...

HAHA! That is so great. I'll ask Karen for some pointers for you. She got all her kids to do piano for a long time (except Davis...but he's a stinker). I'll see if she has any tricks up her sleeve about getting them to practice! Tell Aubs we'd love a concert when we come!

Ash said...

Good for you! She will thank you later. I always wanted to take Piano lessons but we didn't have a piano, and I probably would have hated practicing too. It's great that you are comitted to it.

allison said...

hahahah, oh my goodness, that girl. You should tell her her aunt Alli is jealous she's taking piano lessons and that I look forward to her giving me a concert on my keyboard when you guys come up (assuming all of you are coming, I can't remember). In any case...I wish I was taking piano lessons! She's awesome, and so are you...way to stick with it. I wish I had some tips.

The Funky Bunch said...

Oh man...that sounds like some of MY piano students! One cried while she was here sitting at my piano during a lesson...made me feel GREAT! NOT!! She'll learn to love it. It's such a great thing to have...even just knowing the basics and being able to read music is an awesome thing to know. Good luck!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

ahaha, i love that girl. i'm glad i got to talk to you guys tonight. I should have read this before chatting! I wish I could play the piano. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh Aubrey- I feel for you. My mom made me get up at 6 AM to practice for 30 mins when I was younger than you are.

But, of course, now I wish I could play better...