Operation: Body Humor
Aubrey is at an interesting age. Body-related humor is extremely funny these days, so much so that the mere mention of something like, say, underwear, will send her into a fit of giggles so severe she cannot breathe. This is especially relevant now, as she received the game Operation for Christmas. This is a fun game, as I remembered it. When I played as a little kid, we removed a tiny plastic wishbone, a heart, a rubber band for a pulled muscle, and a bucket for water on the knee. The only sound effects we heard were the ones we caused by touching the tweezers to the metallic sides. Well, now we're in the 21st century and though Operation still buzzes if you touch the sides, genius upgrades now include more sound effects, like "boing" for a pulled muscle. The heart is gone. The wishbone is gone. In its place we have wonderful things like, "bad plumbing", "burp bubbles", and Aubrey's favorite, "toxic gas," that need to be removed from Cavity Sam. And they all have corresponding sound effects. In fact, the way you play the game now is to listen to the sound effect to know what to take out. And just so you remember what you're supposed to remove, Cavity Sam repeats the noise over and over and over, until it's out. Aubrey just about falls apart when that noise happens to be toxic gas. I had no idea Operation had become so primeval, and yet so appealing to body humor fascinated six year olds. Unfortunately, it's Aubrey favorite game now. On the flip side, it's been great to talk about what it is and is not appropriate to do. And about the importance of an "excuse me" and other such things. I'd rather not talk about it at all though. And the game does not solely consist of gross body humor things... I mean, he's also got cell phone finger, a bird brain, a frog in his throat, etc. But I miss the old school version and its lack of vulgar noises. Hey, Hasbro! Bring back the wishbone and the heart! Take away the toxic gas, and take away Aubrey's fixation on body humor with you!
6 comments:
Ahah, I didn't realize they did that! That's crazy! I would like the older version better too. Good luck with that one!
Oh gosh, I can't stop laughing. I have NEVER seen that version before. My mom got my kids one just a few years ago and it's the same 'ol regular version. Maybe it's a good thing we don't have that one...who knows what my kids would be doing!
haha, no kidding! i had no idea it was like that now! i vaguely remember playing this up in new york with Tiffany's kids while we were there, but I don't remember the sound effects or the toxic gas. i think they must have had an older new addition. it's like shrek - i hate that movie, but so many people like it and i don't understand why! it's so crude!
Oh man...that's gross. I will have to play it with her so I can better understand. It does seem a bit unnecessary to exacerbate the problem for kiddos her age with similiar sentiments.
oh no! Halli got that for Christmas too. We haven't played it yet, thought she pulled it out today, and now I'm kinda scared to!At least I've been warned whats to come. Gotta love how fascinated they are with the human body!
I had no idea it had morphed into such a game!
I dont think my family ever got out of the phase that AUbrey seems to be in ;)
Post a Comment