Thursday, February 19, 2009

Obsession? Me??

On our very first date, Chad and I had a conversation where we each claimed the one thing we couldn't live without. Sadly, I cannot remember his answer (It was probably, ME) but we both can remember mine. It was: Chapstick. Chad can and often does testify that this is still true. At any given time, I might have one tube in my pocket, a couple in my purse, and one in the car. I have one on my bedside table so I can put it on before I go to sleep and again as soon as I wake up. I simply cannot go without it. It is very rare that I don't have any in my posession and even rarer to not have any on my lips. But if through some misfortune, I do have to go without it, my lips feel so dry, and my whole body is completely uncomfortable until I can apply it again. I don't think I am necessarily prone to chapped lips, but to me, the feeling of unchapsticked lips is the worst in the world.

I am no respector of chapstick, either in form or flavor. Anything that keeps my lips moisturized without changing their color is what I like. In high school, I was a major LipSmackers fan, but I mostly love the original Chapstick brand, Softlips, Aquafina (yes, they have chapstick and it is lovely), Bath and Body Works Lip Shine, and others. The only one I very much dislike and only use if absolutely necessary is Carmex, because it tastes like soap on my lips. (Unfortunately, that used to be Chad's lip de-chapper of choice... fortunately he realized early in our dating that I was much more likely to kiss him if he didn't taste like soap. Smart guy. We're now happily married.)

What is on me right now, you ask? In my pocket I have a tube of Chapstick medicated, and in my purse, I have Bath and Body Works Cinnamint Mentha Lip Shine and Tinkerbell chapstick I borrowed from Aubrey.

Today, doing my laundry, I saved these three from a watery fate:




Excessive? Maybe. Obsession? Probably.

Those other things in the picture I saved from the washing machine? About half a dozen bobby pins. Don't even get me started on those...

18 comments:

Christy said...

"Can you do me a favor then... Can you bring me some Chapstick?"

"No Napoleon."

"But my lips hurt real bad."

Have you ever tried Rosebud lip salve? They sell it at Sephora and it is fantabulous.

Court and Jill said...

Amen sista! I own 7 tubes of chapstick at any given time. None of them are stored in the same place!

mommymoocow said...

What's with you Seil girls? I thought my girls (and one son) inherited this odd trait from my dad, but maybe it was also a Seil thing!

allison said...

Hahaha, I LOVE chapstick too! Except I'm a little more picky and I actually really like carmex. My favorite though is burt's beeswax chapstick, I should send you some. Amazing.

Slim said...

Are you practicing for our March Enrichment? No cheating, now!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Kissy, I think I'm turning into you. I have chapstick on my dresser, too, and I have to put it on every night or my lips get really dry. I also have one in almost every pocket because I lose track of where they are.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

p.s. I used to use Carmex but then Allison introduced me to Burt's Bees (sp?) and I love it a lot.

Stephenie said...

I love the post! Although I do not regularly wear chapstick, my two oldest girls do and I am constantly buying it. It seems to be an obsession in my house, too.

allison said...

Maybe it's just that air is drier than it used to be or something, but I find myself putting the stuff on several times a day and once I need it I'm just not comfortable until I put some on. I'm a fan of Blistex Berry myself, although I do seem to remember enjoying a tube of Burt's Bees that I used up.

travelingtxmom said...

Um, oops, that last comment was from me, I forgot I was signed in with Alli's g-mail. Love you!

Berly said...

I love chapstick also!! But, mine always gets taken from 3 beautiful girls who claim it is theirs. What do you? I also love Softlips~~

Lindsay said...

lol, I do remember you always having stellar lip gloss/chapstick in high school. I'm glad you didn't run those 3 through the washer and I think it's way funny that you borrowed from Aubby :).

Anonymous said...

I am totally the same. I have one in my pockets of my pants (I HATE it when my work pants dont have pockets) one in all of my jackets, about 5 in my purse, one in my office desk, two in my car, and a whole bin of about 15 if my bedside table. I have woken up in the middle of the night to put it on. I run them in the washer ALL the time. As long as catch them before they get to the dryer then the clothes are ok and the chapstick is still usuable. I like all the ones you mentioned. But my very favorites are lipsmackers starburst flavored ones!

Missionary Mom 09-11 said...

I am the same way. I hate my lips dry. I keep it in my purse, in my desk drawer, etc., the only thing different, is that when I am home, I like to put on Vaseline!

Ash said...

I love that stuff from bath and body works. Chapstick is such a wonderful invention. Sometimes it can just make everything better.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I don't use it, and I have an untouched tube of Burts Bees that someone gave me. Have at it!

Emma Jo said...

I am totally with you on that. I probably have a dozen or so floating around the house and in various pockets and such...unfortunately, I also have a daughter that hoards them and leaves them in tiny pockets that don't get emptied before being washed. I wash maybe one a week...and I find those tiny clear hair elastics in the wash regularly...at least the screen catches those. Chapstick on, my friend.

The Funky Bunch said...

That's hilarious. I HAVE to have something on my lips also. You wouldn't even want to look in my purse...for I have at least 20 different lip glosses and chapsticks. All different...because who knows what kind of mood I am in on a given day! So I'm with you girl!