Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"But I'm Norwegian": Chad's take on St. Patty's Day

Hahaha, I laugh every time I think of that quote from Chad. St. Patrick's Day was pretty much a normal day. Aubrey ate a donut with green frosting. That's pretty much it. Actually, it was saved from being lame by a fun friend party that afternoon with a shamrock snack, a rainbow craft, cookie decorating and a scavenger hunt with candy at the end. Candy always makes any get together more fun. The girls (and boys) just like spending time together, so that is always good. And there's no harm in breaking up the 4:00 in the afternoon doldrums. St. Patrick's Day theme storytime was also included. If anyone knows the correct pronunciation of "shillelagh" would you please let me know.


As we are trying to be more holiday-traditioned in our family, I thought, "why not try making corned beef and cabbage?" a traditional Irish meal. So I gave it a go. I was slightly skeptical. So was Chad. When I told him what I was making and why I was making it, that's when he came out with that quote I find so humorous above; "But I'm Norwegian." (As if that absolves him from eating a traditional Irish meal). It turned out really good though and even our Ms. Picky asked for seconds, and that's saying something.


It still kind of weirds me out looking at it though. Next year, we might scrap the Corned Beef and Cabbage tradition and try out the Visiting Leprechaun tradition.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I think you need to email out the recipe. I thought it was super creative of you. I like the green donut idea too. I was glad my friend Whitney asked me to help her with the "visiting leprachaun" otherwise St. Patty's would've gone unnoticed over here.

Anonymous said...

Sure and begorrah, Chad has forgotten that he has Smythe ancestors galore from Ireland -- including some who owned a castle there. He grew up on corned beef and cabbage on St. Paddy's Day!!

travelingtxmom said...

I love that what comes out of Chad's mouth is usually as funny as from the kids. As for pronunciation, I think it's pronounced "shil-lai-lee" if I'm not mistaken, which I very well may be.