Did you know Hannah Montana came to Willowbrook Mall?
Well, she did. In the form of me. This night was hilarious!!! I had two goals for the evening, 1., look as much like Hannah Montana as possible. 2., at the very least, look as little like myself as possible. Not knowing anything about Hannah Montana, I went to the Disney Channel website, where there is a link entititled: How to dress like Hannah Montana. Bright tank top, check. Jacket with embellishmnets, check. Sparkly Scarf, Check. Boots (gold), check. Sunglasses, check. And of course, the wig. Check. I actually had a different wig but it was a child's wig and even after straightening my hair, my hair would not fit under it. Fortunately, I happened upon this other one, longer, with more hair, on clearance at Palais Royal. The gold boots, were also a fortunate find at the Goodwill. I went through several wardrobe changes this evening before deciding on what is in the picture below. And even after that, I traded out the sweater for a fitted tan jacket. I actually thought I looked more like either a Drag Queen or a cross between Hannah Montana and Sharpay Evans from High School Musical. I looked really conspicuous in either case. And that is so unlike me. I think my dress style is "hide in your clothes" or at least "don't stand out." Well tonight, I really rocked that sense of style. Because I wasn't hiding and I was definitely standing out. Before I left, Andrew came into the bathroom where I was getting ready and said, "cute, mommy!" So, with his vote of confidence, off I went in my ridiculous get up.
When I pulled up to the mall parking lot, I had to take several deep breaths to gear myself up for what I was about to do. I happened to see a friend who was there as a youth leader on the way in, and after he was able to breathe after laughing so hard, he walked with me to get into the building. Then I just tried to find a place to sit and not stand out overly much. I sat in a corner with my back facing the Old Navy storefront. I wish I could have kept count of people who stared!!! People either openly gawked at the spectacle that was me, or they saw me but didn't want to look directly, so they just sort of peeked. Their reactions were the same. Disbelief...shock...horror, maybe. "Is she for real???" Teenagers grabbed each other's arms and montioned for them to look in my direction. Then they would hide behind their hands (or not) and laugh. Children stared and pointed and pulled on their parents' arms. Their parents would look and smile in silent mockery. "no honey, that's not Hannah Montana, that's just a weirdo in a really bad wig." People pulled out their cell phones to take pictures. Some people looked at their friends and twirled their fingers by their heads in the "she's crazy" motion. They didn't know I was inwardly doing the same thing. Most people (including me) couldn't believe there was someone in long super shiny, Hannah Montana-esque blonde hair and gold boots sitting openly, and seriously, in the mall. I just tried to appear engrossed in the book I was reading. But honestly, I was so distracted by people's reactions that I probably read the same pages about 5 times without anything sinking in. Oh man, it was so great. And then the YM and YW started coming. Some of them knew it was me, I mean, who wears sunglasses indoors at 7:30 at night? But some of them were really nervous about approaching someone who did not appear to look like her normal self... they see the "hide behind the clothes" person, only on Sunday. So I would see them from a distance, wondering between each other, "Who is that? Is that her? You go ask!" Some of them said, "I couldn't even tell it was you!" So I was glad that objective number 2, look as little like myself as possible, was met. One of them even said she liked my boots. It didn't help the bystander stare issue when those large groups of kids came up to me and asked for my autograph, which they needed for the game. I signed my name, Hannah Montana, at least 5 or 6 times. The Old Navy manager came out and was like, "what is going on here? Who is this? It's Hannah Montana?! We're all in there wondering what's going on!" It was sooooo embarrassing and too much fun. At the end, we all met in the Food Court for treats. I wasn't sure I could make the long walk from the end of the mall to the middle by myself... I was going to have to pass a lot of people, most of whom I knew would gawk and stare. So embarrassing! One little kid alllmoooost came up to me with a pen and paper so Hannah Montana could sign it. (So I guess in some people's minds I met objective number 1, look as much like Hannah Montana as possible). I made it to the food court, and then the rest of the youth leaders saw me and we all had a good laugh. Ha! I was all too happy to take off that wig and go home. So my friend again escorted me to the car so I didn't get arrested by the Bad Wig Police. And then it was over. Hopefully I can get a group shot together so you can see the Celebrity posse, consisting of Hannah Montana, Nacho Libre, Carrie Underwood, David Archuleta, and many more. But as far as Hannah Montana is concerned, no more autographs, please.
19 comments:
he-he! I love it!
hahahah, i love it...you go girl. I don't know if I could have done it, and I'm definitely impressed that YOU did it. I wish I could have seen you in person. And boy do I want to see a picture of whoever dressed up as Nacho Libre! I think you look pretty awesome...definitely would not have recognized you I'm pretty sure! And I'm so glad that at least Andrew thought you looked cuuute. I love that little man.
I love that you did something so out of character and had a great time doing it. It would have been fun to watch the people watching you! Way to go Andrew for boosting Mom's confidence, love you all!
Hilarious! Love it!
Gosh Kristin, you looked AMAZING!! I love how you described all the different types of reactions...I witnessed it all, it was HILARIOUS! The night was such a success, thank you!!
Awesome, Kristin! You not only stepped out of your comfort zone, you did a great job chronical-ing it. Way to go!!
no pictures? Now that would have been hilarious!
This is so great. Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I really wish I could have seen you in person! HAHAHAHA!
I heard you're giving a concert when you come to NYC. I hope we can get tickets, I've heard they're sold out!
You are so brave!! I really felt for you walking into the mall and to the food court. Good job on going out of your comfort zone. That was a fun activity!!
Oh, is there any end to my admiration for you? Seriously you are awesome. We all had a lot of fun and I'm so glad there are people willing to play along and make it memorable.
That is hillarious. you actually kind of look like her. Wow! You are a pretty versatile lady.
You are a brave woman! That is so funny ! I had no idea it was you! You do look Hannah-Montana-is! That is a fun activity. About five years ago they asked me to go as latin diva -- hair slicked back in a bun, fake eyelashes, red lipstick, a black slinky outfit I would have been caught dead in, and suave glasses with clear lenses. Other people reactions are the best, but keeping a straight face through it is the hardest part. Wish I could have been there to see you walk down to the food court!
That is so funny! You are such a good sport!
That was pretty awesome. I'm glad you wrote about it because your short phone description definitely didn't do the evening justice :). You are so great. I can just picture you there wanting to laugh out loud. So great...
You did a great job - I was laughing pretty hard when a kid about 8 years old was sneaking a picture of you on his cell phone while you signed autographs. :-)
Hilarious. You look great. I miss mall madness. That was always such a fun activity. I'm glad Chad posted the pictures.
loved the pic Aaron brought home!!
You've got to post more pics! Chad's were pretty good, but now I am dying to know who else was who!!
Fun! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment