Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Trip to San Antonio that wasn't.

I have been looking forward to this trip to San Antonio to see my sister and her fam for weeks now. Andrew had had a fever of 102 on Tuesday, but on Thursday we were ready to go. So, we load up and about 3/4 of the way there, Andrew throws up all over himself and his car seat. Chad and I were like, "do we just turn around?" We didn't know if this was the start of something that could spread to little Baby Jess, who is not even two months old yet. We decided to keep on going, because lately Andrew has been sticking his fingers in his mouth and intentionally gagging himself, and we thought that's what he might have done. And he had no fever. So, we got to San Antonio, and talked and chatted with my L&R for a while before going to bed. Friday morning, we wake up and Andrew has a fever again, and he's really hot this time. And he's got even more symptoms of illness than before, including horrible hacking cough and nasty runny nose. He hadn't thrown up again, though, which was heartening. We contemplated taking him to an urgent care clinic, but then decided that if he was sick enough to warrant us taking him to the doctor, he was probably sick enough to pass germs to his newborn cousin. So we packed up and came home!!! I was so sad! It was NOT what I wanted to do at all. We had planned on staying through Monday night and we were going to have such a good time! But I guess the important thing was that we get better and then come back, rather than stay and make everybody sick. So we came home, and went straight to the doctor, and found out in fairly quick time that Andrew had Strep Throat! And he had progressively gotten a higher fever that Tylenol couldn't keep down, and at the doctor, it got to 103.5! Scary! So now he is on Penicillin and I am glad we didn't stay because though he's not contagious anymore since he's on the medicine, it's still better that we took our germy kid and stuff and came back. I've taken quick trips to San Antonio before, but never one that lasted only 13 hours. Darn it!

7 comments:

123 checkoutourfamily said...

bummer! Sorry to hear about Andrew catching strep. It's horrible! I didn't get it till I student taught kindergarten and I got so sick that I missed a week of student teaching. Yucky!

Hope he feels better soon!

Christy said...

Boo to short trips, sick kids and puke in the car.

Hopefully your next trip will be more successful.

allison said...

Oh! Poor little man! I hope he's feeling better. I also hope your next trip ends up better...I'm relying on you for more pictures too. :) Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey will thank you -- someone gifted Meredith with strep throat when she was just 6 weeks old. It was AWFUL!! Next time everyone will be healthy and you can have a blast.

---Linda

Lisa said...

When Linds told me about this, I was like, man...that stinks!! It's so frustrating when sick kids get in the way of plans. I'm glad he's on medicine and getting better though! Antibiotics are miraculous.

travelingtxmom said...

Such a crazy trip, I knew something was up when I got that message from Linds saying "Well, they're gone" only hours after we had webcammed with you there. Seems like all your trips to SA lately have been pretty short. I'm just glad the little man is feeling better, give him hugs from me.

Lindsay said...

I'm glad Anders is on the mend. I;ve thought of you every time I've seen the fruit snacks in the pantry and the pie in the fridge. It was great to see you if only for a few waking hours :)