Aubrey "takes a big step into life"
I've already referenced that quote by Aubrey a few posts back. If you don't remember, I'll refresh your memory... we were driving in the car on the way to somewhere and Aubrey said, "you know what I think mom? I think second grade is taking a big step into life." I just laughed because, what soon-to-be second grader says things like that? I think she had a lot of preconceived notions about the second grade, more so than for any grade so far. She has been worried that she was going to be very short and/or small compared to the other second graders. I think this is because she remembers what they looked like when she sat across the lunch table from them as a kindergartener. She doesn't realize she's grown too. She also has been very particular about the clothes she plans on wearing this year and the backpack she is carrying. She needed a new backpack anyway, but she asked if she could get a new one, since "second graders don't like princesses and baby things." I asked her what kind of backpacks second graders do like, and she told me they like hello kitty backpacks. And not only that, but she also requested to have a one strap backpack this year. When we finally found one that fit the bill, she declared she'd use it until the end of fourth grade. Who knows what fifth graders like, but I guess we'll find out. As far as clothes go, she wasn't going to wear any of the clothes I suggested, but instead, chose this outfit, one strap Hello Kitty backpack and all...
Black gauchos and a white tee with a sparkly blue tank top over it. She's always always been opinionated about her clothes, even when she was like, 2 or 3. The past couple years, I let her loose and pretty much let her wear whatever she wanted, and sometimes she ended up looking like Little Orphan Annie. So this past summer and now, we have embarked on lessons in what goes together and what doesn't. She is getting much better at putting outfits together. So that is what she wore on this big day, her stepping into life.
We had the obligatory First Day Donuts for breakfast.
This is the annual picture in front of the house. (Thanks to Andrew for getting in the way, an all too common occurence in this house)
She was not too nervous about going into class, and once she saw her teacher, she went right in. We didn't think anybody from her old class was in her new class, so she was nervous about having a friend too. But she didn't hesistate to head to her desk. I guess this is a sign she is getting older. I am glad she likes school.
When she came home, it was like every mother's wish for their child on the first day: "mommy! mommy! I made a friend and her name is Alyssa and I sit next to her and she asked me to sit with her at lunch and we played together at recess!" I hope they can be a good influence on each other. I didn't get much out of Aubs about what exactly they did in class today, but she's always thrilled that she has no homework on the first day, but I do. I always end up signing a gajillion things to send back the next day. You know how it is.
In the end, she decided to go back tomorrow. This is good. Here's to another year.
19 comments:
I am glad Aubrey had a great first day!
Cute! She is one determined little gal with quite a mind of her own. I'm so glad to hear she had a great first day. I can't wait to see what 5th graders like. :)
It sounds like our oldest girls have a lot in common...even down to the must have very adult messenger bag. I love that they are independent and grown up and mature. She is adorable, in a very grown up sort of way.
It was such fun to chat with her after school and hear that she had enjoyed that first day and made a new friend. Thanks for the photos so that I could actually see the whole outfit rather than just bits and pieces on the webcam. I think you both did the fashion police proud! I have to admit though that taking those big steps into life and looking older do pull at my heartstrings. I love that sweet girl!
Our Jessie starts the forth grade this year. Your Aubrey sounds so much like Jessie. I'm sure they would get along wonderfully with eachother. You have a beautiful family.
That's my little gift from heaven that's not so little anymore. She's great.
Dear Old Grandpa
She is so great. I'm also glad to see the outfit in person. She looks so cute. I'm hoping second grade is all she thinks it will be. It was fun to hear her rendition. I love how she can never "remember" what she does in class :).
She's so cute! Second grade?! My how time flies. I think her outfit was fabulous, and I love the hello kitty messenger bag. Heidi (and me, I guess) will be taking a big step into life next week when preschool starts. I don't know what to do with myself. How's Anders doing without Aubs all day?
Is it strange that I'm getting tears in my eyes reading this? I have this picture of me laying down next to Aubs on the floor shortly after she was born and we're just looking at each other and she's so tiny...and now she's a big second grader. I think it makes me realize how fast this time with Evie being so tiny is too. I love that sweet Aubs, I also love her random phone calls that last like a half hour, she is too too cute. And she is looking so cute in that outfit!
If you think time flies--well even I can remember my second grade teacher. Her name was Miss Tree and I knew from the very first day of school that she cared about me. I am so happy that Aubrey loves school. She will always do well. Love you all!
man im student teaching in second grade! I wish I could be in her class!! it would be nice if I had a friend to look forward to on my first day as well!
When she told me 2nd graders don't like princesses anymore, my face fell (I hate it when kids grow up!). She back-peddled really fast, though, and told me (on the QT), "Well, you can like them, but you don't tell anyone or else they'll call you a baby." It was obvious she still likes them -- but don't tell...
Glad she had a good day. I sent "homework" home for the parents to sign the first night too!!!
she looks so cute! elle and mya wanted rolling backpacks this year, but i vetoed that idea. thanks for the yummy dinner tonight and again for taking jada. it was such a help!
Oh Aubs, I just love her. I can't believe how big she is getting (although I know that's not what you want to hear) but the good thing is she just gets better and better =)
And Linda's comment made me laugh and laugh! If only we could postpone the day she starts caring what other kids think of her!
Well I'm glad the "big step" went smoothly. I guess she's got a few more of those comin through the years though. She looked so cute, and grown up!
Aubrey has the BEST personality! I love it!
Yay for school! She's adorable.
And way to go with the coupons! 8 bucks, wow!
Post a Comment