Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Love Words

I have kind of an abstract goal to write a book some day. I'm sure there's about a gajillion other people who have the same goal, with the same intentions of seeing that goal realized as I do. This makes me no less encouraged, fortunately, even if my book, whatever it may be, never becomes a bestseller. Because I love words. I love thinking hard about what I'm trying to say and then saying it perfectly with well chosen words.

Aubrey likes to ask what I want to do when I grow up. Sometimes I share with her my little goal. I tell her, "I'm not sure what to write about." Recently, she gave me a collection of papers to spur me onward. She wants me to realize this dream. The collection of papers, four pages in all, given to me on separate occasions, were a not-so-exhaustive, scrawly-handwritten list of "tidels" I could use for my future book. Nevermind I have no idea what the book is going to be about. But at least I have some "tidles," some of which sound very promising:

Page 1: "Tidles for Books"
Crazy jokes
The Selfish Goldfish
The Golden Medal
The Incoming Call
Dogs vs. Lions
School Days
Ghost Stories
Mr. Lie's secret note
Kiss Kiss Moon
The Dog named Telephone
Iron Trouble
Monkey and Me

Page 2: "More Tidels"
Flying Mail
More Kiss Kiss Moon
Chalkboard Apples
Get Ready For The Day
Mr. Lie's secret book
Dogs vs. Cat Claws
Penguin Life
Pencils to Read
A Kiss Goodnight

Page 3: "Even more tidels"
Mike the Speakerphone
The Strange Toy box
Mr. Lie's secret basket
The Dog's Collar
The Silly Story
The Dog That Talked
The Multiplication Tables Tell Time
The Super Hero Dog that helped out

Page 4: "Tidles"
The Dog who growled
Ghosts Pop Out
All Yellow Houses
The Kiss Kiss Series
A Purple Nose
A Thunderstorm in Hawaii
Hawaii is Never Cold Except Sometimes

I should scan these pages because they're even better if you can see them yourself. After giving me the fourth (but probably not final) page, she asked, "do you like them?" I assured her, yes, I will treasure them. Because I will. They make me laugh. A few times I have laughed so hard I've almost cried. It appears to me that in Aubrey's mind there are multitudes of books waiting to be written. I appreciate her optimism and insight. I'm not sure which one is my favorite book title, though. It's hard to narrow it down.

Which one is your favorite?

17 comments:

Court and Jill said...

I think she's onto something with the "Mr. Lie's secret ______" series. :)

Ash said...

You can now not only write one book, but many!! The possibilities are endless! Run with it. Seriously. I like the Selfish Goldfish and Hawaii is Never Cold Except Sometimes. :) But just so you know, even if you do write a book sometimes this big marketing team will come in and change your title. I heard that about These is my Words, which isn't a title I'm that interested in reading, but I guess it worked. Okay, enough talking. Funny post.

Braden Bell said...

Holy Cow! She is brilliant. Can I hire her for help with my next book?? Personally I think the Selfish Goldfish is a classic that is waiting only to be written.

Seriously, Kristin, since we both aspire to be writers, we should chat sometime.

Braden Bell said...

Especially since we're in the same family!

Kristin said...

My favorite is the Kiss Kiss Series - as long as you and I get to be the main characters. :)

Love,

Had

Janae said...

My favorite is definitely "Hawaii is Never Cold Except Sometimes"! That brought a smile to my face after a not-so-smiley day at school. :)

123 checkoutourfamily said...

hahaha...too cute! I like the Hawaii one where it's only cold sometimes.

Lindsay said...

Oh man, this was a terrific post. I think you and Super should co-author a few of those beauties. She is so great. Aren't titles supposed to be hard to think up? She's on a roll, I can't even pick a favorite, they're all so great. I think that lucky girl inherited your creativity. Perhaps we'll be seeing a new volume of "The Nerdbomber" before too long...

allison said...

oh. my. gosh. i laughed so hard. I don't even think I could pick my favorites but I think "Iron Trouble", Hawaii is Never Cold Except Sometimes", "The Dog Named Telephone", and "Penguin Life" are particularly wonderful to me. I'm also impressed with the paradoxical themes she gave to you, such as, "Pencils to Read"...really quite impressive. I love that girl!

And I think you should write a book, by the way. I'd definitely buy it and read it. :)

Sunnie said...

dogs vs. cat claws. definitely a bestseller in the making. that has to be one of the funniest things i have seen in a long time!

travelingtxmom said...

She's got ideas for a couple of different series there, way to go Aubs! I think my favorite is "Chalkboard Apples". I actually quite like this approach, first the "tidle" then figure out what kind of story works for it. I'll be looking forward to the first book!

Allie said...

What a sharp little darling you've got on your hands! She is seriously so creative! I am so impressed. Your post about motherhood was so touching and amazingly well writen. I love the way you write, it is so from the heart. You are such an amazing mom, your love for those little ones of yours is palpable in your writing.

RAPN! said...

Your daughter is clever! I want to write books too. She has some great ideas. I love Mr. Lies and the Selfish Goldfish.

Anonymous said...

Chalkboard Apples leaped out at me -- a definite Newberry Award Winner.

Lisa said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I am cracking up. That girl!!! I was particularly interested in the Mike the Speakerphone tidle. That sounds like a book I might read. But if you're going for a series, I'd take the Mr. Lie route.

I admire all your goals and aspirations. I need to make some new ones for myself.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

This is so brilliant, really. I love this. My favorite was also the kiss kiss moon series. This sounds like an exercise we would do in my class! I wish we lived close together and we could work on our books together. I think it would make it so much easier.

travelingtxmom said...

"The Incoming Call" might make a good mystery book but you may need to update it to "The Incoming SMS" or something like that to appeal to today's digitally shackled consumers.

Dear Old Dad