If my children were dinosaurs...

...they would be herbivores. They don't eat chicken. They don't eat beef. They don't eat turkey. They don't eat meat! (Cue Aunt Vuola from My Big Fat Greek Wedding: "what do you mean, (they) don't eat no meat?") If she were to make lamb, I don't think they'd eat that either. The only meat Aubs eats is pork and/or ham. And selected lunchmeat. Andrew doesn't eat any of it. What is more odd, than their not eating meat, is their love of veggies. Not that I'm complaining. Last night, Andrew's dinner consisted solely of peas. That's all he ate. And today for lunch, he had cooked carrots, green beans, and potatoes. I tried to sneak in a few bits of meat (it was from a stew) on his plate, but he knew what they were as soon as he put them in, and out they came, a partially chewed up mess. Yuck. Broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and squash are more of what's on Andew's a-list. And Aubrey loves salad. She always has. And when we go to Chik-Fil-A, she doesn't order the nuggets. She orders a salad. Salad with ranch and a fruit cup. Always. And she always eats it.
Actually, somewhere along the line, besides veggies, my kids have gotten picky about everything. I've been trying some new recipes and making notes about how well they were received or not. Here's a sampling:
Monday: Glazed Chicken over Couscous: "the kids didn't like it. Chad didn't take the leftovers. But I liked it."
Tuesday: Chicken Wild Rice Soup: "Aubs didn't like chicken or rice. Andy didn't like chicken. Me and Chad liked it."
Thursday: Chunky Vegetable Chowder: "Kids didn't like it." (surprising because of their love of veggies)
Saturday: Graham crusted mahi: "This was really good but Aubrey only kind of liked it. Andrew didn't."
This is what I'm up against. I left out Wednesday and Friday because those are set meals every week: Waffles for Waffle Wednesday (or any kind of breakfast) and Friday is Pizza night. They like those nights and usually eat that. So I can plan on them eating two nights out of the week for sure. The things is, besides veggies, they could live on mac and cheese, corn dogs, and spaghetti with white sauce. I get tired of those things real quick, I'm not gonna lie.
I just don't know what to do with these picky little dinos. I just hope they eat enough to not go extinct.
8 comments:
One word: ramen!
Seriously, I can empathize. Our kids are very picky and Victoria, who used to be rational, just became a vegetarian after reading about cruelty in slaughterhouses.
Can I have Ab's left over Mahi?
Joe used to be just like that and people didn't understand why it stressed me out so much but I was like "because kids also need protien!" eventually he grew out of it, maybe your kids will too.
They sound EXACTLY like their aunt shugee! Watch out!
Kids and their eating habits, sheesh. I like the chocolate covered pretzels idea above :)
HAHAH!! We've had our share of pickiness around here too. Tonight we had a breakthrough because I made this butternut squash soup and they actually both ate it all because I let them sip it through a straw since it was all pureed. They thought drinking dinner was pretty cool. It did have bacon in it, but I don't know if that counts as meat... I should send you the recipe. Anyway, some days, Kara pretty much drinks milk and that's it. I just throw my hands up in the air. Kids!
hahaha...love the Big Fat Greek Wedding insert. Yeah, Brayden use to not like meat. Now it's veggies. Maybe our kids need to convince each other that the other isn't so bad.
I like your dinner notes. Oh, and I found the chicken salad recipe...now I need to get that other recipe. What a yummy dessert!
dang man, evie's already being picky! except before she would just store it in her mouth in her cheeks if she didn't like it and eventually it would go down...she recently discovered how to spit stuff out and sometimes she does it just for fun and then picks up the same thing and eats again. this is doubly sick. i'm like...well...i give her some vitamins, hopefully the rest is good enough. some nights for dinner all she eats is mandarin oranges! that cracks me up though that aubs gets salads and eats them so much...maybe you should try feeding her marmalade again. :) ahahh.
Has Aunt Ash been sending them subliminal messages??? I guess as long as they are eating something, that the good thing, funny kids!
Post a Comment