A Post About My Birthday

Another birthday has come and gone and now I'm 29. Funny how that happens. I had a really good day and it wasn't so much that I went and did fun stuff (which I did) or got some awesome gifts (also which I did) that made it so wonderful. It was more that I was surrounded by people that love me who made me feel really special.
There's two things that are, in my mind, tied for first place that Chad did to make me feel special.
First, he undertook a labor of love and made me a delicious and beautiful Italian Cream Cake. Exhibit A:
This was a cake I had tasted the previous weekend at a baby shower that was made by a master cake lady friend of ours. I came home and raved about it. Chad then, unbeknownst to me, called up the cake lady and got the ingredients, recipe, and instructions on making the cake so I could eat it again for my birthday. Not just a little piece this time, like at the baby shower, but a whole cake all to myself. Exhibit B:
(This is when I said, "Where is everybody else's piece?")
This cake was not a Betty Crocker special. It was made from scratch, as was the frosting. He made it the night before and frosted it because he was told the cake tastes better the day after. This took him until past midnight. And the result was amazing. Everyone who knows me knows I love my desserts, and this cake did not disappoint in the least. Chad was afraid it wasn't going to taste exactly like the other one I had, but it was gourmet and delicious and tasted just like it. It was full of butter and sugar and it was soft and moist and rich. It was SO good.
I really felt like the cake was a gift to me, because Chad was thoughtful enough to take the time to make something he knew I would love. And I was so proud of him for thinking of it. It meant a lot to me that he would do that.
Secondly, my bed got a makeover that was long overdue. Chad engineered this also. We love the bedspread we had before this one, it was handmade for us and given to us as a wedding gift. But it was almost ten years old. So were all of our bedsheets and pillows. I had been looking for a new comforter that I liked for a long time and found one last year. It was exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, it cost more than I would ever choose to spend on myself. And so, for the past year, I just admired it every time I went to the department store. I would go hoping it was still there, and when I saw it on display, which it usually was, I would run my hand over the top of the bedspread and touch the pretty decorative pillows. That was pretty much as close I ever imagined I would get to having one for myself.
Until! Enter, Super Chad. He is my hero. Because this is what he got me for my birthday: The whole set. Not just the comforter. But the pillow shams, sheets, dust ruffle, decorative pillows, and warm blanket too. And then he got us brand new fluffy pillows. He knew I would love it and I do. I look at my bed and know that I have the prettiest looking bed in the world. Every time I look at it, I love it more. And also, I love Chad for getting it for me. 


I also appreciated the many phone calls and singing voicemails I got that day. I was able to talk to and hear from a lot of the people I love the most.
So it was a great birthday.
8 comments:
I love the bedspread!! Having a pretty comforter and pillows makes the bed so welcoming and happy! What a great gift! Also, mom shared some of her piece of cake with us and it was DEEEEELICIOUS! I had to fight Heidi and Kara to even get a bite for myself! Way to go Chad! I am glad you had such a great day, sister. You deserve it!
Wow! I am so out of touch with blogging and with my loved ones! It sounds like you had the most wonderful birthday! I guess our gift to you is that we did not call and sing to you! Be glad for that! :) It sounds like that is a recipe that needs to go in the family cookbook. Chad was so thoughtful and such a planner! The comforter and all the pretty pillows are just beautiful!
Awesome! It's so great when husbands are thoughtful and it sounds like Chad really did well in that department. So glad you had a wonderful b-day! You're AWESOME!!!
That cake does look delicious, way to go Chad! And I love the bed spread, it looks so comfy with all those pillows! I'm glad you had an awesome day.
So happy that you had such a great birthday. Wonderful to have a thoughtful husband like Chad! Your new bedspread and all that goes with it looks great and has made your dream come true!
Glad you had a GREAT birthday--wish we could have been there to celebrate with you! Love the new bed & wish I could get the cake recipe--Chad I'm impressed --maybe you can give Mike some pointers!!! :)
love you guys!--Elise
SO pretty! I love that Chad did all that for you, that is so sweet. And that he even got the fancy decorative pillows. I wish we could have been there to help you celebrate!
I also love seeing it all in my old room. I miss that house.
That comforter set is beautiful, good choice and kudos to Chad for getting it. That cake was so amazing, I loved every bite that I got, I have to admit that it took some self control to save enough for Lisa and the girls to get a taste. I'll look forward to him making another one sometime, anytime. :)
Post a Comment