Monday, January 17, 2011

Say Yes.

Andrew is a child who knows what he wants. And now, having acquired excellent language skills, can tell us exactly what. Even better, he knows the response he hopes to receive and will prompt us accordingly. He assists anybody he may be talking to: me, Chad, Aubrey, Grammie, whoever. This usually happens when there's a possibility someone could say no, but even many other occasions.

These are a few I've heard recently.

Andrew: Mommy, I want some gum. Say, "yes." (I don't think so, Mr. Repeat Offender Swallower of Gum)

Andrew: Mommy, would you like to play with me? Say, "of course I would!"

Andrew: Mommy, do I have to go to bed? Say, "nope!" (Actually, Yes).

Andrew: Mommy, what is that? Say, "I don't know!" (I did know... cell phone tower)

He's so helpful, because, we never have to wonder what he would like us to say in return. He will script our conversations and tailor them to his exact specifications.

I think he's playing a mind game. And he's getting good at it too. Because sometimes, I have found myself answering just the way he wants me to without having paid attention to the request. He's gotten a lot of gum this way. (If it's true it stays inside you, his stomach is probably gum coated by now, because he swallows it every time). It might be gum today, but if he hones this skill, in 12 years, it could be a car. Scary.

In the meantime, if I could just figure out a way to make this work for me, I bet I could really benefit....

Me: Chad, should I buy these shoes or those? Say, "Both of them!" (this is assuming I could get him to come shopping with me, which I might need another mind game to play to make that happen).

Me: "Chad, would you like to do the laundry, dishes, toilets, make dinner and then put the kids to bed, all by yourself? Say, Of course I would!"

Me: Chad, I'd like to go to Hawaii. Say, "Yes."

I need to go ask Andrew which one I should try on Chad first.

8 comments:

travelingtxmom said...

That Andrew is one smart cookie! As for which question for Chad...I say think big and ask for Hawaii....

Lisa said...

HAHAHAH!!! I'm going to have to start trying this...

Emma Jo said...

That is really funny and oh so very clever for little Mr. Kids are funny. I say you try it out on Chad for sure. He might just think it is so funny and cute that he will totally go for it...but use it wisely, it might only work once or twice.

allison said...

Hahah, that Andrew boy. I feel like I haven't seen you guys in forever. I would like to do that trick with Stevo too...I always accuse him of not listening to me anyways so I could test out how true that is. Hahaha.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hahahaha, Andrew at a job interview in the future, "So, after looking over my resume and meeting with me, do you think I'm a good candidate? Say, yes."

Anonymous said...

He cracks me up with his prompts and other funny sayings. The other day he apparently couldn't break into an unopened box of Capri Suns, came and told me very solemnly he needed help -- the Capri Suns were "locked"!

Carrie said...

haha this is too cute. I should try some of those lines out on Devin too haha.

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh. You're cracking me up.