We're Hibernating
It's been way too cold to do much of anything lately! We are all too busy huddling together for warmth. Sad to say, I am a bonafide wimp when it comes to cold weather. Why do you think I moved to Texas in the first place? And although I make a concerted effort at all times not to talk about the weather, Chad might attest to the fact that every other phrase I've uttered the past several weeks is, "I'm coooolllld!". I realize this whole post is about the weather, but that is what is dictating our lives these days.
Last week, the forecasters were predicting snow. They kept building it up and building it up like it was the blizzard of the century. Similar to when the hurricanes come through, the stores were out of bread and other everyday items, and the news anchors started overusing the phrase "hunker down.". They even cancelled school. On the night before the blizzard was going to come, they had bundled-up news anchors all over the city. They switched back and forth between all of them. Almost as if it was scripted, each one basically said, looking into the sky, "nope! Nothin' yet! Sure is cold though!" The weatherman pointed to three pinhead-sized dots barely visible on the radar, and grandly announced, "THAT is where it is snowing RIGHT NOW!". There were several other comments made that were very educational, such as "the air has to get very cold for the rain to turn to snow!" and "what's in the clouds is going to come down out of the clouds!". It was a night of great anticipation for this snow. So we were all quite miffed when we woke up to, no. snow. Not even a light dusting. Despite all the ridiculous hype in the news that we knew was overdoing it, we were, nonetheless, hoping to see at least a little. I think we were not alone in our sentiments. I think every weatherman in Houston got calls from disappointed and jilted children everywhere wondering where all the snow they predicted was, so they wrote a letter to them which appeared in the newspaper. The tone was apologetic. I don't think it helped... How can you be satisfied with a few ice-kickles (an andrewism) when you were envisioning the blizzard as had been forecast? Futhermore, it's so much easier to be okay with freezing our cans off when we've got snow to show for it.
Which is why I found it very amusing to see a little snow flurry while sitting in the car rider line at Aubrey's school yesterday. This unheralded little snowfall was probably not predicted and maybe it didn't even attain pinhead-size-dot status on the radar, but it came nonetheless. Predict tons of snow, it doesn't come; don't mention snow, it snows. Go figure.
Have I mentioned that it's cold??? Brrrr!!!! My winter wardrobe and my patience are very tired by now. I hope Puxatawney Phil was right and that Spring is right around the corner. I'm going back to my nice, warm cave to hibernate until then.
9 comments:
Sister, don't I hear you...it's 16 degrees and the "feels like" temperature is 1 degree. It is WINDY cold, which always feels so much colder! Ah...we have been "hunkered down" now for weeks and weeks between the cold and getting sick. Blah. I'm running out of patience too!! Hope you guys enjoy your snow flurries, ship Andrew up here to us, we've had snow on the ground and it's been snowing since November!
at least you have a cute new jacket to wear:)
I think it's going to get warmer just about the time you head north...guess you better get used to it. :)
You can have some of our snow! Though I don't think it's been as much as Alli's had. Ours froze on the streets in huge piles, though. It looked like plastic.
The only predictable thing about the weather is that it is unpredictable! I hope they don't make the kids make up that day of school.
I didn't think you had been away from Utah for so long that you forgot what cold is! :)
Oh man. This was a great post, I laughed. I'll have to post pictures of our snow so the kids can see it. I'm with you, we've been bundled up indoors for weeks. Texas is cold too :).
You are so funny. That story reminds me about all the hoopla on the news around here about "The Blizzard of 2010" back in December. That "blizzard" produced about 1/2 inch dusting of snow...
But, I know how you feel being tired of the cold!! I am starting to get spring fever. February is usually about when I get really tired of winter time.
It must be sad when I am cold at night and it has been getting up to 76 during the day. I know why I live in Arizona and not Utah. The winters are great.
Post a Comment