Aubrey's in Fourth Grade.
Here's Aubrey on the first day of Fourth Grade.
My thoughts on this are pretty simple: I'm shocked I have a daughter old enough to be in fourth grade. She was excited and confident. She was anticipating a great year. I truly hope she has one.
I remember the fourth grade well, and it was the start of some memorable years of elementary school for me. Aubrey is actually now at the end of her elementary year of school. Next year, fifth grade, she will be at an intermediate school. Also shocking.
Today, as I helped her get ready, I was not anticipating the lump I felt in my throat, nor tears in my eyes as I dropped her off, assuring her with what I hope was not a shaky voice, that she was going to have the greatest year ever.
It seems to me that the more she wants to go off into the world, the more I want to hold on to her, to keep her back, to keep her with me. This year, more than ever before, I sensed her independence from me. It's like I could almost tangibly feel her breaking away from me. It's bittersweet always: I'm so happy for her for becoming her own little person- she's got such a fun, sparkly, personality, she's witty and a delight to be around-- but, oh, how it breaks my heart to see her grow up!
She came home thrilled with her first day, and as to be expected, that thrill waned after the first week or so. Even though I don't always love getting used to being without my number-one, right-hand gal Aubs once school starts, the routine of school is always a little bit soothing to me. I'm the type of person who appreciates abiding by a schedule and routine.
So, here's to another school year. I really hope it's the best one ever.
7 comments:
I hear you on this one. I understand you completely. I hope she has a great year too (and you as well). Hopefully the pictures will be working next time I check, then I can see how cute she looked on her first day.
I can't believe she's so old either. I still have a picture of her in the green clown wig when you guys lived with us. I'm holding her and she looks miserable. Haha. I love that girl. I'm excited to see her grow up. (And excited to see you in just a few days!)
Fourth grade! It doesn't seem possible. She is such a bright girl she will do well in whatever she attempts. Sorry we don't see the photos. :)
I've read this blog a couple of times now but this is the first time that I got the picture to come up, man does that girl look too old. So glad we got to send a little time with you. Tell her Minty Fresh is looking forward to a chance to reappear! :)
Are you sure that picture is of Aubrey? Is it the new haircut--bangs--that makes the difference?
I had to look twice! Aubrey has grown up since I just saw her this summer! I wish she could be in my class this year! 4th graders are the greatest!
P.S. I don't think that lump ever leaves.
She is such a cute little thing. I can't believe she's in 4th grade either, can it be? She is workin' those boots. Stay brave, you're a great example. Another wise mother that just sent her first daughter off to college told me she was ok with it and it was great because she said, "If I tried to keep her here it would be like trying to put diapers on an 18 year old, it's just the right thing for her to be doing".
Post a Comment