Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The completion gene

So the completion gene strikes again. What's the completion gene, you ask? Well, it's that ever so important, ever so tiny gene inside you, which causes you to complete actions and or tasks the right way. When you are missing it, you do all kinds of dumb things, like, (and these are all hypothetical, of course), knock your kneecap on the table leg while scooting your chair into the kitchen table, or whacking your funny bone, hard, on the bathroom counter while blow drying your hair, or tripping over shoes that are in plain sight, or whacking your forehead on the visor of your car while sliding into the driver's seat. Basically, lacking the completion gene will cause you to unavoidably hurt yourself in unpredictable and oftentimes unusual ways, but probably very frequently.

Okay, so the completion gene is really totally made up by my fancy pants brother in law who is studying to become a doctor. He maintains that a certain sister of mine (okay, his wife) and me, and possibly others of our family, suffer from a missing completion gene. I guess I should be flattered that he's trying to explain away my apparent clumsiness/danger to myself and or others by medical means. Thanks, Steven, it's a compassionate approach, and really quite noble. But really, I think I'm just downright klutzy.

All those hypothetical examples I cited up top? Okay, I admit. I have done all those things, quite recently, actually. And a lot of the injuries I cause to myself happen in the kitchen, of all places... not just the knocked kneecap...need I remind you about the past injuries I have sustained at the hands of...my own self. I've got no one to blame for the frozen meat which I dropped on my foot, breaking my baby toe, and also no one to blame for slicing almost all the way through my hand with a very sharp knife while cutting an avocado. And now I also have no one to blame for...

...grating the knuckle of my thumb completely off on one side with my microplane.

I'm not prone to use expletives, nevertheless, I know some choice words that would have conveyed my sentiments pretty well when it happened. Also, my knuckle looks disgusting. And if you've never seen grated human flesh on the underside of your microplane, count yourself lucky, because, let's just say, it ain't pretty. Unfortunately, I looked, and now that image is seared in my memory forever. Uugghh. Let's shiver in horror together. I'll shiver again on my own because every time I look at my thumb I'm reminded. And every time I try to bend my thumb at the knuckle I'm reminded too. Ouch.

I need to be more careful, I know. But I really wish I wasn't missing the completion gene.

8 comments:

travelingtxmom said...

Okay, I'm cringing! I don't even want to imagine what that grated flesh looks like. I figure most of your accidents happen in the kitchen because you spend so much time there sharing love, cooking up all that delicious food you make. Hope it heals quickly. Love that picture of Anders over there on the right, and Aubs too of course.

Amanda said...

That was nice of him to try and use a made up medical term to explain why you do the things you do. I am cringing thinking about your thumb. I am sorry that you do these things to yourself.

Emma Jo said...

Who ever said women were graceful creatures, I know very few! I never would have made it with any kind of dignity back when that was so important!

allison said...

Oh my gosh, I shudder in horror, yes. I can just picture it and I do not envy you. At least you know you are not alone in missing the completion gene...I currently have a couple of bruises trying to heal that I have no idea where they came from. I feel better blaming it on that though...like ms. patel when I lose anything... hope you're knuckle gets feeling better!

Heidi said...

Ouch! I don't even know what a microplane is and it sounds like an awful injury! Thank you for not posting a picture of it. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Grama said...

My sentiments are the same as Heidi's. Hope you heal well and soon!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

OUCH! Nate gets a really concerned look on his face every time he sees me using knives in the kitchen. I've really tried to be better, but I went through a period when every time I used knife in the kitchen, I cut myself badly. It's gross, but now I wonder what grated flesh looks like.

Lisa said...

Yikes! That sounds bad. I'm not gonna lie though, I was hoping for a gross out picture! Sorry about the missing gene. Sometimes I misplace mine, but I don't think I've lost it altogether.