Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This is the Place

We've had a lot of visitors this Spring. Shortly after our return from Hawaii, my sister Lisa and her children came to stay for a week.



We played water balloons on the trampoline, (Uncle Jeff is SO cool)



went to Bluebell ice cream factory,



and the park and the beach.


A lot of time was spent in front of Photo Booth. Always good for a laugh.


I also got Lisa hooked on Downton Abbey. One night, we watched Downton Abbey late into the night and my sister was highly disturbed by one character in particular, O'Brien, the ladies maid. Not just her personality but her ringlet bangs in front and pointy sideburns. In a fit of late night sisterly silliness, we both tried to fix our hair like O'Brien. We laughed until we cried. I'm only a little embarrassed to admit it. But with my naturally curly hair, I make a pretty good O'Brien.

After my sister left, my dad came and my grandparents came to visit. My dad came for the great first hay cutting, and my grandparents came just to visit. The hay cutting is a good story. Apparently hay can burst into flames if baled before it dries completely. My dad was undeterred by this knowledge and set to baling. I reminded him we've had a fire in the pasture before, and what should I do if, when the hay is sitting out by the barn, it catches fire? His response was, (and I quote) "don't worry, the barn is metallic." As in, it won't burn. Ahhh, that's comforting.

Grandpa is a farmer through and through and I think he really liked being out there turning the hay over and working outside.


He helped not only my dad with the hay, but me with my outdoor plants, which despite my best efforts, have a tendency to die on me. He helped me by planting my orange tree and helping plant and water some flowers on my porch. He gave last rites to a few plants which had already died. But he saved the indoor ones. I'm happy to report Grandpa, all the plants, indoor and out, that were living when you came to visit, are still living! Aren't you proud?

Their visit was pleasant in every way, and helpful to me and my dad. I loved that they could play with my kids, and spend time relaxing. Also, I laughed my head off with my grandma while watching a show she never misses, Dancing With the Stars. I love both my grandpa and grandma, and truly believe they are two of the finest people I know. I loved having them, and would love to have them again.



9 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Fun visitors...and you'll be pleased to know that O'Brian ditches the ringlets in subsequent seasons. It was comforting.

Grama said...

We so enjoyed our time with all of you in Texas! It was a wonderful fun filled and relaxing week! Being there for the first bale of hay was exciting!!! Grandpa was really in his element. Thanks again for a wonderful time.

allison said...

I'm so jealous you got to see them! I'm so jealous you had Lisa and Jeff there too! Ah, sigh. It all looks so fun. And I laughed out loud thinking of you guys doing your hair like O'Brien!! You got me watching it and Steven and I finished the first season in one weekend (where can I get the next one??). Wish I had been there!

Amanda said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun with family. The waitress we had at Mimi's Cafe had those ringlets. Have loved that show since the first season.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

These pictures make me both really happy and also extremely sad that I couldn't be there. I just miss family so much - I'm so glad you got a visit with grandma and grandpa. I loved seeing all of these pictures. All of those little ones are just so wonderful. And your pictures are beautiful!

travelingtxmom said...

I want a copy of the first picture and the last one in this post! I'm so glad you all had a great time together. You had me laughing out loud at the thoughts of you and Lisa with O'Brien hair, I just watched the first couple of episodes this afternoon and she does have one of the strangest hairstyles I've ever seen. :)

travelingtxmom said...

It really is paradise there especially with all the family visiting. Chad gave me the first $5 from selling a bale of hay. I'm going to frame it.

I hope the chickens live longer than the plants...ha ha

Dear Old Dad

Lisa said...

Hahaha!! O'Brien. I still chuckle when I think of it. Why didn't you post any pictures of that part??

Lindsay said...

Love it. I was also expecting an O'Brien picture! These were great memories for you and some for me :).