Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Just in case you wondered...

If ever your dog needs a treat, you can make her apple pie with a crumb top.  That's what Winnie decided would make an excellent after dinner treat for herself.  Nevermind that it was on the counter, where she shouldn't be going.  Nevermind it was intended for human consumption.  Nevermind I had just scrupulously cleaned my kitchen, including the floor, today.  She saw it.  She wanted it.  She ate it.  Awesome.  Luckily, we did each get a piece before it got pulled off the counter by my naughty, naughty dog.  That lovely, crumbly top now looked like it had been liberally sprinkled over my lovely, clean kitchen floor.  Before my dog got dibs on the last few pieces I had imagined eating them for breakfast.  You know, being apples and all, pie would make a perfectly appropriate breakfast.  I did briefly entertain the idea that I could quickly pick up the splatted pieces and save them before Winnie claimed them, but the rational part of my brain came through and reminded me that a person probably should not eat something a dog's nose and mouth has previously touched.  Maybe that's okay for some people but probably not for me.

Maybe I should have known she would like apple pie on account of the fact that she was born the day before the 4th of July.  And she's a golden retriever: the iconic, #1 dog breed in the country.  The only thing more American than a golden retriever and apple pie is a golden retriever eating apple pie.  (Somehow baseball fits in there too, I'm sure.) Maybe what I should have done instead of rebuking my dog and hauling her outside was wave a flag and sing the national anthem.            

3 comments:

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Hahahahah. I really need to meet Winnie and give her a hug. So American.

Lisa said...

Hahaha. Did she do this on inauguration day? I mean, it would only be appropriate. That's a day for a show of patriotism.

travelingtxmom said...

Lol, glad you're back!