Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekend in Dallas!

We went to DFW this weekend and it was super fun.  Its purpose was two fold: One of which was that dad wanted to make some cookies with Uncle Chris. The other was to see David play the lead role in Buddy Holly.  

The first one, the cookies, was very funny to me, and also so adorable I wanted to cry.  A few months ago, we found, in the barn,  a cookbook which was mostly in German, which contained many recipes made by my grandmother, who was superb in the kitchen.  Dad discovered a recipe for holiday cookies and wanted to try it.  He did while people were here in town for Christmas and they turned out so well he wanted to take them to Uncle Chris' so that he could try them too.     

So they spent the morning grinding the hazelnuts and bustling around in the kitchen, these two grown men, these two brothers, trying to recreate something from their childhood.  They were so excited and it just warmed my heart to see them trying to pass on this tradition.

While we were in town, I thought it might be fun to check in with any of the other cousins who might be able to join, so we planned a lunch at Costa Vida before the musical for anyone that could make it.  Turns out just about everybody could, and so we had a table for almost 20 at Costa Vida.  It was so great to talk and chat, and laugh and catch up with my cousins, who are all so fun.  I felt good having lunched with them and couldn't help but think that maybe our grandma Barbara was smiling down upon us.  She would be glad we were trying to keep in touch with each other. 

We missed having Cathy there. 

The next part of the afternoon, we spent watching David in Buddy Holly.  It was SO much fun.  He was totally rocking out and was so good in the part.  It was so entertaining to watch him play his guitar and sing.  He did such a good job.  I just couldn't get over how great it was that we were watching him play the lead in this musical.  And how good he was at it!  It was a great afternoon. 
The evening we spent with Mike and Elise eating dinner at Texas Roadhouse.  It was yummy and the kids were almost asleep when we got home, having played with their Denton cousins all day.  Andrew was still awake though, he was needing a little snuggle and so he crawled into my lap and fell quickly asleep. He just needed to connect with his momma for a minute.  It was so sweet and I absolutely love that he still likes to fall asleep in my lap.  It doesn't get any better than that.

4 comments:

Grama said...

Happy you had such a fun trip!

allison said...

Dang, I haven't checked blogs in a long time. I loved reading this though even all the way from January! I need to talk to you about raising boys. I feel like I am not very good at it some times! xo

Lisa said...

Well, I'm behind the times! So glad to hear from you, even if you wrote it six months ago. You forgot to mention that you missed having me at that cousins lunch too!! ;) Today I was lamenting the fact that I live so far from some of my family. Reading about Dad's kibbleche or however the heck you spell it makes me wish I could have some right now.

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT