Monday, August 28, 2006

Is it donuts or doughnuts?

We like donuts in our family. From Coach and I eating Krispy Kremes in Provo while at BYU (but only when the hot light is on), to eating Best Donuts after cleaning the church, eating these tasty treats has become somewhat of a family legacy. Princess's favorite is of course, any donut with pink frosting and sprinkles, though she has recently branched out to include white frosting as well. Really, it doesn't matter... if it looks like a donut, she'll eat it. Apparently, we have taught her that a couple of donuts matched with chocolate milk is a perfectly acceptable and well rounded breakfast.

Well, she likes donuts so much that I am bothered by only one question... why couldn't I have taught her to love something healthier, like raisins? Wouldn't it be nice to pull out the raisins in the morning and say, "guess what we're having for breakfast!" and have Princess jump up and down excitedly, saying, "YES YES YES!" like she does when she knows we're getting donuts. Why couldn't it be that instead of nutrient deficient donuts that we could have food guide pyramid-approved raisins, or whole wheat bread or even broccoli as our family legacy? Alas, I have made it be donuts, Oreos, and Princess cereal. But at least the cereal's fortified. The day they make a donut fortified with 25 vitamins and minerals will be a happy day. Until then, I feel sorry for that canister of Sun Maid raisins that have been in our pantry for a long time now, with not so much as a second glance from Princess.

No comments: