Friday, August 04, 2006

Little House on the Prairie

I love Laura Ingalls Wilder and I love Little House on the Prairie. There's something that is so idyllic about living on the frontier to me. Life was so simple. You lived in the house that was made out of wood chopped up by Pa. Ma had many skills like baking and sewing, AND plowing the field, and the food was always extremely fresh-- your milk and eggs in the morning came straight from the barn. You worked hard because you had to. Everything was just so simple. I wish we could go back to those times. These were the thoughts I was thinking today after I jammed the printer cartridge and also broke the toaster. This was after Princess and I were shoe shopping today, and she had one of those jet stream pee pees in the Kohl's restroom that misses the toilet bowl completely and lands on the tile floor (thus soaking her underwear and also my sandal clad feet). You see, pioneers never had to deal with broken toasters and messed up printers, and probably not even jet stream pee. I know, the point can be made that they had to deal with crop failure and livestock dying and whether or not they were going to make it through the winter. But I know they never once had trouble putting in an ink cartridge or getting burnt toast out of the (blasted, piece of junk) toaster. Would I give up my modern conveniences? I don't know. I'm not sure I could even milk a cow, but I think I'd like to live on a Little House on the Prairie.

8 comments:

Sunnie said...

i'm glad i'm not alone in my thoughts on that one. i can just picture laying outside in the summer with a nice breeze, watching clouds, with a little stream running by. so you're telling me you don't get that feel when you visit the subdivision park??? anyways, sometimes i feel like life was so much more simple. everyone was together as a family and you didn't watch tv all day. (not saying that i don't mind the distraction at times). but i do quite enjoy giving birth in a hospital and not a creaky old wagon.

Anonymous said...

what's so different from the mother on the Little Houst on the Prairie and YOUR mother (except for the milk part)? Think about. Just kidding.

1tiredmama said...

There are things about that time that were wonderful and so simple. Yet there are too many modern conveniences that I could never get rid of. Too bad we can't find a happy medium.

Rainie said...

I've often thought the same thing. It does seem so nice and simple. Sometimes all of our information gets annoying, the food that is bad for us, using carseats, all the causes of cancer and diseases. Back then they never had to worry because they never knew what would hurt them.

Anonymous said...

Your blog was making me think I should start a blog, but your entries are way too funny and I just couldn't compete! So, I guess I can't start one. :)

Emma Jo said...

I agree. I don't want to spend all of my children's teenage years in the car between soccer practice and band camp. I would much rather walk into town, pay a penny for a pound of licorice and gossip about the townspeople...in a nice, Ma Ingles sort of way, not Nellie's mother (whatever her name was).

Emma Jo said...

HARRIET! Her name was Harriet, but how 'bout that Nels, huh?

Anonymous said...

true that, true that...simple times