Friday, September 15, 2006

A Little Perspective



No, this is not a self portrait. This elephant was on the news last night, and I have come to sort of feel a little kinship with her. Shanti the elephant is on her second pregnancy also, and she's almost due. But last night's news broadcast made me SO glad I am not an elephant. Elephants carry their babies inside of them for TWO YEARS! The baby she's having weighs about 330 pounds. Try delivering THAT! and also, Shanti is supposed to gain 500 pounds in the course of the pregnancy. My nine months, less than 10 pounder (so far), and 25 pounds of fat doesn't seem so bad now. The thing is, they were saying that Shanti is starting to get a little testy and angry, because she is almost overdue. Well, YEAH! If I had to carry a baby inside of me for two years, I'd be a little grumpy too.

4 comments:

Sunnie said...

oh my- a 330 pounder! lets hope little andrew weighs no where near that! he'll probably be a little teensy thing like aubrey. i'm so excited for you! the big day is almost here! yeah!

Emma Jo said...

Poor elephants, big babies, long pregnancies and such dry skin!

Rainie said...

I'm always feeling sympathy for animals that have things in common with me.

Anonymous said...

i appreciate this blog =)