Saturday, October 07, 2006

What's in a Name?

I was talking to my sister Lisa, and together we came up with a best selling t-shirt idea for all those preggies out there. It answers all the questions you end up answering a million times over the course of your pregnancy, such as, "is it a boy or a girl?" "have you picked out a name?" "When are you due?" "are you excited?" Mine would read something like this:
Boy
Baby Brother
October 13th
Yes, we're excited
Our other idea was to just make a t-shirt that said in big bold words, "Don't Ask!" We thought these were good ideas. You get so tired of people asking the same questions over and over. Unless, of course, you have a really novel name that you want everybody to know about. Today in the news I read about sports fanatic couple Rusty and Leann Real, who recently gave birth to their firstborn son they named, drum roll please, ESPN. This name is pronounced "Espen," but spelled the same as the network channel, caps and all. Apparently, it was Rusty's idea, but Leann did not object. Hopefully, they'll call him by his middle name, which is Montana, after of course, Joe Montana. My husband and I are sports fans too, and after tonight, we thought maybe we'd reconsider Andrew and call him ESPN2.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Too funny. When I was preganant I hated it when people (especially strangers) would just start rubbing your belly, like it isn't part of you or something. Imagine how they would feel if you rubbed theirs back! People!

Sunnie said...

good thing we got rid of satellite or jake may have considered that name, too.

elasticwaistbandlady said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elasticwaistbandlady said...

People have started a trend of naming their girls ABCDE (pronounced ABSODEE), should we really be all that surprised about a baby ESPN? Oh, and I belong to the best etymology online community over at Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing, and last year the grand prize "winners" were:

Genocide(girl)
Million'Z A Dolla'Z(boy)
Lots of baby NEVAEH's (Heaven spelled backwards. GAG)
Seriously.

Can I just personally thank you for choosing such great names for your kids? The world and our ward does not need even one more Brayden/Braeden/Braden, whatever. I've met or known of about 10 kids under the age of 2 with that name recently.

Also, the random stranger questioning never ends.
1.If you were having another girl, they'd ask you if you are going to try for a boy.

2.Having just Aubrey meant that people were probably asking you when you were going to have another baby.

3.Having a lot of kids (like someone I know!) means perfect strangers inquiring as to how many more we're going to have, and do we know what birth control is.

4.Having Andrew means people eventually asking when you're going to stop being so selfish and give him a brother.

5. Having them close together in age prompts people to ask you delightful things like, "Wow, don't you have cable?" and my favorite, "Don't you know where they come from yet?"

Point is, you can never sate the curiosity(nosiness) of other people. Some are well intentioned though and just want to make conversation, and a portruding belly is a topic of interest.

This week is the final countdown! Hooray for you guys!

Emma Jo said...

I keep waiting for the announcement blog...you can't keep us waiting too long after he is born. I mean, it really should be the very first thing you do when you get home from the hospital, don't ya think?

Jamamma said...

When we were expecting Josh, Clint told everyone we were going to name him Blade, just for their reactions. My mom actually believed him and tried to bite her tongue, but she couldn't help but ask why?