"I love books," she said
Every once in a while, I have to step back and wonder what I might be doing to influence my daughter's view on the world. I realize that I have the power to cause her to like certain things and dislike others, and it's easy and sometimes accidental to create these preferences. It's all in what she is exposed to. One thing I have intentionally taught her is a love of books. I love books and reading, and I have wanted that to interest Princess as well. What I knew was that if from a very young age, I read to Princess, took her to the library, and bought her books to read, she would learn to love books and reading. What I didn't know was that I would create a little monster. Not only does she love books, she has picked up a quirky little habit that bears repeating. You see, it has come to my attention recently that there is a high possibility I have read one too many books to Princess. Maybe our once weekly trip to the library is taking a toll on her. What I mean is, Princess will often talk about herself in third person, or will narrate what she is doing while playing. For example, sometimes I will ask her to do something, and she might reply to me "I'm not going to do it! She said." Or, while exiting her room, she might say, "...As she ran across the room." Not only does she narrate herself, but she will insert "So they went to the Ball," or "...she said" when her dolls are playing and talking to each other. She even will have a two or three person dialogue going on without even needing dolls to play the parts. This has been going on for some time, since the summertime at least, but I thought it would disappear. But she has only gained more eloquence along the way. Instead of saying "she said" she might say "she replied very angrily." So, it may be an understatement to say she loves books. It would be more appropriate to say that to her, her life is a book unfolding every moment, she need only insert the "she saids" and "as she..." to make it understandable.
3 comments:
Tbat is toooo funny, that little girl sure is a cute one! Not quite the same but Joe sometimes acts like his life is a commercial... for example he might has me for a "crisp and delicious apple" or for a "cool and refreshing glass of water." I guess that means he watches to much TV!
That cracks me up. I love it! She will have the best imagination for the rest of her life. What a gift you've given her.
I can't wait until she learns how to write! What stories we'll have to read.
Post a Comment