Thursday, May 31, 2007

Square Pizza

I'm obssessed with all things Kindergarten. I've been checking out the school lunch lists at Kohrville Elementary to see what kind of lunch fare they have these days. And I'm happy to report that square pizza is still present in the course of a month. I personally have fond memories of the really exciting lunches of hamburgers with shredded lettuce, fruit cups and chocolate milk from my elementary school days. It was always the best day when my mom would give me a quarter to buy chocolate milk. I mostly brought my lunch, made by my mom, in a brown paper bag that would have my name written fancy on the front, and sometimes would be embellished with a sticker. And sometimes, when I was really lucky, I would get some little treasure tucked in with my lunch. A mini Cabbage Patch Kid was once under my dessert at the bottom of my bag, and I have to say that was one of my happiest lunchtime memories. But even when I bought my lunch as a school kid, that was special too, because it was rare. Unfortunately, as I moved to junior high, it became less rare for me to buy and I started diverging from the wholesome chocolate milk and fruit cup. I went through my entire junior high career eating a two pack of cinnamon rolls and some Cool Ranch Doritos, washed down with a can of Sprite, all from the cafeteria vending machine. All this probably cost me about two dollars. In high school, when I bought my lunch, I would buy a blueberry bagel with cream cheese and a giant chocolate chip cookie. Or else I would eat a chicken croissant sandwich with lots of mayo. How did I make such unhealthy choices? It sort of grosses me out to think about that now, and also sad, because I could eat all those things and not worry about it then. Did anyone else eat disgusting school food when they were younger? All these things make me wish for my simpler days of a PB&J in a brown paper bag, and graham crackers with frosting. Princess will be bringing her lunch I think, most of the time in Kindergarten, but occasionally I will give her money to buy some square pizza and chocolate milk. I hope she will make healthier choices than me.

9 comments:

Liz said...

I personally have very fond memories of cafeteria lunches. I loved buying my lunch, and to this day, loathe making sandwiches, so sadly, my kids buy their lunches most of the time. But I'll go into the school during lunch time and catch a whiff of the cafeteria food and fondly remember the good ole days.

I can't believe Aubrey's in kindergarten. But I also can't believe that I now have a 3rd and 1st grader.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

Kristin! I didn't know you bought your lunch in Jr. High/High School. Mom made my lunch until the last day of high school for me, no joke! She eventually said we had to start making it since she was busy teaching seminary but...that never really panned out, so I got to enjoy the homemade lunch until the age of 18. And I still miss it to this day. I frequently got little notes from mom, too. That was especially nice in high school when I needed a good pick-me-up. I hope my kids are OK with me making their lunches even in high school...but I think mom made ours mainly because we loved her lunches so much I guess. And by the way...there are some days that I still don't eat healthy. Today I had a veggie burrito and frozen chocolate covered banana for lunch, and a hot-n-ready pizza from little ceasar's for dinner. Not healthy. Feeling gross.

Anonymous said...

Now we know why so many people in America are obese...it's cheap to eat unhealthily.:) I remember buying "doozies" for lunch in junior high. A doozie consisted of two large chocolate chip cookies with whipped cream in the middle that was about an inch and a half thick. YUM. But, most of the time mom made my lunch too...sorry you got the shaft. With all the increased interest in health these days, it makes you wonder why cafeterias are still serving so many unhealthy choices for kids.

Anonymous said...

oh the good ole days of chocolate milk. except now they come in MILK BLADDERS instead of the cartons. who want to drink chocolate milk out of a plastic bag with a straw sticking out the top....called a bladder???

in jr high i used to eat those individual pizzas you could be. they were tasty. but they were soooooo greasy i remember stacking like 5 napkins on the top of them and even the top napkin would be soaked in grease.....BLAH I would never eat those now!! my other favorite was those big meat burritos with cheese on them. and id go every day and get starburst from the vending machines. did i really need a whole pack every day???

Anonymous said...

Those were the days. I recall with fondness the mint chips mom would put in our dessert for lunch. I also remember all those lunch bags lined up on the kitchen counter. However, I had forgotten about the names in fancy lettering. There were some days I bought Subway or Pizza Hut in Jr. High but I was never really fond of the soggy square pizza :).

Sunnie said...

did your mom used to put butter on the bread before she made a sandwich? don't ask me why that was done, but it was in my house. anyways, i usually brought my lunch and it often times had a picture of a sun on the front. in high school my friend and i would mooch off our friends and get these really yummy slushy lemonades. i probably owe some people lots of dollars!

Christy said...

Butter on sandwiches is an English thing - it prevents the bread from getting soggy.

The grossest things EVER from any where - but especially from school is fish sticks... I would consider eating my own toes over a fish stick. I LOVED the school yeast rolls - they were the best. For a long time I didn't like maple syrup very much because we had waffle day and the little sausages which came with the meal would get covered in syrup (I didn't like that at the time) and the waffle would be totally soggy by the time I got it. Also French dip sandwiches really grossed me out... I really really don't like soggy bread.

Ginger said...

I used to get these wonderful cinnamon rolls everyday during our "brunch" break in high school. I still crave them!

Rainie said...

My favorite was the brownie. I would always ask for the scraping from the pan and spatula for free. I hope that didn't just gross you out and ruin my image forever.