Sunday, July 15, 2007

Family Happenings

Well, I'm back from my somewhat intentional blogging hiatus. Many things have been going on, but I'll give you the briefest version.

The Big Sis turned five and we had a great Barbie/Princess/everything pink birthday party for her with six friends. We just went swimming and had a pinata and played some games and it went over really well. The only unfortunate part was the renegade party guest who blew out the Big Sis's candles before she did. Oh well, we just lit them again and gave her a bonus candle blow-out. It was a fun time and we also celebrated later on in the day with some aunts and uncles and grandparents at Chuck E. Cheese, where the Princess really let loose dancing in front of the blue screen. I guess when you're five you lose all inhibition.





We went later that week to my cousin Carrie's wedding, which was really exciting! I wish we could have had more time together with our cousins, but you know how weddings are. It was sure fun to see everyone, including my sisters. We had a blast. And once again, the Princess and her grandpa made their mark on the dance floor, with a swing routine they'd been practicing. It was way cute!



We had some of my nieces and nephews visit from Dallas this past week, and that was a way fun time, going swimming with Grammie, and going to the Houston Children's Museum. The Princess's favorite part is always painting her own face. She and her cousin Ashley somehow created this make believe "sassy poodle puppy," that they were playing with all week long (Sometimes they took turns being the sassy poodle puppy, and so at the museum, they painted their faces to look like it). They were also very interested in these bendy straw-looking things at the museum that you could build just about anything with and we played there for quite a while.



And just in case you were wondering what the large structure in our backyard is, it's the Ark we're building, because at our house, we are about to float away. This picture actually is the front of our house. Last night, it rained hard and for a long time, and our street has never done this before, but it flooded. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but it was up past the mailbox and even covering the sidewalk right up to the front of the lawn. And it was fairly deep. It drained off very quickly once the rain stopped, but it had been pouring, and our already water logged neighborhood was struggling to keep up with the rain.



Last but not least, don't let this innocent cute little face fool you. We have reached with Little Brother what I would like to call the "no-no" phase of his life. What I mean is, he is crawling, and we are having to tell him, "no no!" quite a bit lately. Actually, crawling is a generous word for what he is doing, which sort of resembles the breaststroke out of water. Swinging the arms around and pushing frog-like with the legs. But it works for him, and it has definitely increased his speed. And consequently, he is putting many different and many more things in his mouth than before. One time this week, while over at Grammie's house, I noticed an increased amount of drool, so I knew there was something in there. And I was surprised to find not one thing, but four different things he was working on, for who knows how long. The inventory went like this: a bead, a dried up grape stem, a sticker, and a bur. Where he found these things in the house is anyone's guess, but I guess when you're small and can reach tight spaces, the world opens up to you.



Two more things... I was slightly alarmed at my reaction yesterday when someone underestimated my age. This happens really frequently, and is often annoying, as when someone came through my wedding reception line and told me I looked like I was 14. But the reason why I was alarmed this time, was that when I told someone I was 25, and they were like, "no way!" I was actually kind of flattered. It's the beginning of the end. I'm getting older.

Tonight, Big Sis was picking who was going to put her to bed tonight using the riddle game that we play and she said, "it's someone who has curly hair... and someone who likes to sleep a lot!" It was funny in that way that kinda makes you feel bad, because it's true and I do like to sleep a lot and it's funny that she noticed. And anyway, the last time she picked her dad, she said something sweet, "Someone who... likes to brush my hair really soft!" So that's her dad. And then there's me, who just likes to sleep a lot. Oh well, I bet good night's rest will make me feel better about that comment. :)

16 comments:

Liz said...

Missed your blogs! I hear you on the ark- maybe we can combine forces and build one really cool one for both of us. :) It would have to have internet connection though... ;)

I'm also with you on the getting older part- I used to hate when people told me I looked younger than I was. Now, I don't mind so much.

It was good to see you last week- I do wish we could have all spent more time together. We'll have to plan something where there's no weddings or funerals involved.

Lindsay said...

You're so great. I'm glad I could share so many of those adventures with you. I can't wait to see the breastroke crawler...that sounds hilarious. I think we should all get webcams. Hopefully he'll hone his exploratory skills...a burr!? And Super...I do think that your description of her "losing all inhibition" is an accurate one for her Chuck E Cheese party. She really lit up that blue screen!!

Lindsay said...

ps the poll is a new blog feature in your setup. I happened across it when I changed my page.

Sunnie said...

first off- sorry for the candle incident. what can we say, mya is mya:) and cute pics- i loved seeing him crawl. so cute! also, we need to invest in a canoe or kayak or something so when it floods again we can paddle on up and visit you guys. my favorite was the bag of trash that was floating down our street last night. it was quite entertaining!

Whitney said...

Love the update! Looks like the party was a great success. I can't believe she is five. Wow, how time flies! I missed your updates so I hope you are back on the blogging scene. :)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

i love you guys. i'm sorry i missed the actually swing dance because i had been looking forward to it, I know how much they practiced!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're blogging again, I've been missing you! I love the pics, Dad will especially like the one with the Princess. Can't wait to see my little buddy "crawling"!

Emma Jo said...

I love your little family, they are so cute and your writing keeps me entertained! I wish we would get some of that rain, I miss Texas rain and thunder!

Court and Jill said...

Cute pics! I've been checking your blog often, so I was excited to see your new stuff. That's crazy about the rain!! Happy birthday to the little Princess! We miss seeing her every Sunday and hearing all her funny comments in class!

Ginger said...

LOL about the ark! It is so true though, I've never lived anywhere that rains as much as here! It was really good to see you guys (and your little guys crawling)yesterday!

Lisa said...

Don't worry, I really like to sleep a lot too, and I don't know why I can never seem to get enough sleep. I can't wait to see little brother's breast stroke, although he'll probably be over it by the time we see you. I can only hope. I'm glad you're back!

Anonymous said...

Can I have one of those pictures of my little gift from heaven dancing with me?

Christy said...

Glad you are back. I love the way you right and you always seem so cheery that it cheers me up.

Ash said...

I personally love the bean, grape stem, and other various items found in baby blue eye's mouth. That made me laugh. He was crawling toward Linc at church and Linc was laughing at him. It was so cute to see.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

oh my goodness, that baby boy looks just like his daddy!

Rainie said...

I always feel the same way about not being able to get older. It's some curse that follows me. That's so funny about the sleeping thing to and definately something my kids would say. They're always insulting me without even knowing. For a Mothers Day book Charlotte had to fill in the blanks and she wrote "Mom likes it best when...I'm quiet". I felt so sad.