Role Reversal
Aubrey and I have switched places. Not the Freaky Friday, out of body switcheroo, (even though I would LOVE to see how Aubrey's day goes at school) but an actual personality/role reversal that I find so humorous. Now that we've got two days of Kindergarten under our belts, Aubrey has become me, and I have become Aubrey. This is what it is like. Aubrey comes home from school and I, having been somewhat at rest most of the day, pounce on her and ask, rapid fire, "how was your day?" "did you have fun?" "did you make new friends?" "did you see your friends at recess?" "did you go to the library?" "do you have homework?" And Aubrey, beleaguered after spending seven hours at school says, "I'm tired. I think I'll lay down." But, you see, I'm so excited at having my favorite playmate back in the house, that I want to play, so follow her to the couch and begin again, "Wanna play Barbies?" "wanna play a game?" "How about Pretty Pretty Princess?" "Want to play Ponies?" "Do you want to play dress up or in your play kitchen?" Once again, the exhausted Aubrey says, while yawning, "I think I just need to rest for a few minutes, and then we can play," as she pulls a blanket over herself and closes her eyes. I don't understand why she wouldn't want to play with me, but I go off and take care of something absolutely essential, like cleaning out the fridge for the third day in a row, or dusting the house again. It took me until last night to realize that Aubrey and I had actually switched places, in the sense that now, she is the tired one who likes to sleep a lot, and I am the one who has boundless energy and wants to play all the time. I don't know what we're going to do about this. She actually did try to appease me, as I so often do to her, by suggesting that maybe we could watch a movie together, thus sharing the same space, but not really interacting too much, so that she could get in a few winks, as she was laying on the couch, "watching" the movie. Next thing you know, I'm going to be the one to look over, and say, "Aubrey! keep your eyes open!"
11 comments:
You crack me up. I can just picture this in my mind!
I'm laughing so hard because this is sooo true. I've never looked at it like that but you nailed it. I can't believe that there already done talking to us and at such a young age.
That is so hilarious, I love it. Your kids have such personality!
Too funny!
i'm so glad her days of school are going good, minus the barf. i'll send my kiddos over for a few hours if you want someone to play with:) i also copied your idea for a sidebar on my blog- hope you don't mind. you're just so darn creative i couldn't resist!
this post made me laugh. great descriptions. very cute!
thats funny!!! sounds like you are getting a little bored with your new found freedom!!
ps- that is a way cool picture of baby# 3. Very hi-tech. Do you know what the sex of it is yet??
A time of transition for all of you :). I daresay you should enjoy your newfound free time. I imagine it will seem like some sort of dream in about 19 more weeks.
I love it, you are so cute!
Hilarious blog! I could just picture the whole thing in my mind. What fun.
Loved the story! I think we probably do the role reversal thing more than we realize with these little ones.
Post a Comment