And I didn't even get to say goodbye!
Well, it's official. Cletus is gone.
On Saturday, our neighborhood held a community garage sale, and we had some things to sell. Well, as we have been looking for a new van, we decided on a whim to put our current van, Cletus, on the street during the garage sale, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, we had several people look at it, and one person left money and told us he'd come back the next day to pick it up. I kept thinking to myself, somewhat incredulously, "we just sold the van?!?" And sure enough, when I came home from choir practice on Sunday, it wasn't in the garage. It is no longer the property of our family. It now belongs to Julio. We did in fact, sell our van. And I can't believe it was that easy. I had in my head visions of us trying for weeks, even months, trying to sell our car. And so, when I looked in the garage and all that was left was the piece of cardboard on the floor where we caught the drips from the car, I shed a tear or two for not seeing our beloved van in its designated spot. I say that the van was our beloved vehicle, but in all honesty, we had a love hate relationship, with the latter predominating most of the time. We have had to constantly fix things with it over the past two or three years and most recently, spent more than its value fixing the transmission back in January. And over the summer, I practically gave myself and my children heat stroke every time we rode in the car during the day because we didn't have dual AC, and it didn't blow strongly or very cold. So, along with the tears I really did shed, I also breathed a sigh of relief. Not that we didn't love our van... it was our first car, it's been in several different states, taken us on many fun vacations, and brought our children home from the hospital. It's been a good car to us and it owes us nothing. So, thanks for the good times, Cletus. I can't exactly say, "we'll miss you," because probably we won't miss you all that much. And Julio, we hope you love our van as much as we did.
12 comments:
How sad that Cletus is gone :(! But how exciting that you will be getting a more dependable car. I will always remember Cletus dieing in the intersection and the cop bumping you to our house! Farewell Cletus!
This is the week/month for getting rid of our trusty cars! Dad's got totaled, Blue was sold, the Crown Vic is being sold, and now Cletus. Time for changes I guess.
So what are ya'll looking at getting? I want a Tahoe soo bad. :( My sedan is so small. :( But when it's paid for and still runs, and it doesn't cost you a years' salary in gas, what are you going to do but keep on drivin.
Farewell Cletus!
A fitting farewell ode to Cletus. Dad hoping Chad got his tools out of it! I think I'll miss seeing that vehicle coming down our driveway as well.
all of this car selling while i'm half way round the world! i was sad to read this entry, but happy that you sold it so quickly. where do you think you'll get the new van?
Farewell to old cars and good memories...but here's to new 'members' of the family!
goodbye...and thank you julio (I wish you could hear the way i just said that, i think you my laugh...)
lol...I do feel badly that Julio was so excited that you did not get to bid Cletus a fond farewell. I will miss seeing Cletus as well but I hope to see more of you now as you will have a car worthy of the 3 hour tour over here :).
man this is the month for getting rid of cars. d and I even talked about getting a new car... but were poor and cant afford it. yay college newlyweds.
sorry you didnt get to say goodbye. i look forward to the pictures of the new van.
I cried the night before we finalized selling Glennis. It was pathetic. Jeff was like, "We don't HAVE to sell it if you don't want to!" I'm glad it sold so quickly though. Too bad we couldn't put the Crown Vic out at that sale. Dang.
about a few of the sidebar things. i can't vote on ages between kids. i only know about 2 or 2 1/2 years in between kiddos so my opinion is invalid. and is aubrey really faking sick already?! that is too funny. and i miss andrew's seal-like crawl. it was fun. also, i'm happy about the van sale and am excited to see what new car you will get and what its name will be. hopefully something better than "cletus" because that is not my favorite name:) no offense julio. i hope he drives well for you.
Love your blog Kristin! You keep me on my toes and I always know I am in for a good tee-hee when I visit your blog. And, I think that all cars should have names. Cletus is a lovely name. Maybe I need to name our van. Ha!
I think that a van named Cletus is exactly the kind of van that would be sold at a garage sale. Well done. My first car was a 1988 Camry named Roxanne. She was good to me, but sometimes we have to say goodbye.
Post a Comment