Monday, September 17, 2007

Feeling Domestic



"How hard could this be?" I asked myself as I began to use a pastry blender on the contents of the bowl in front of me. Flour, salt, sugar, shortening... harmless ingredients in and of themselves, but combined in these porportions, about as dangerous as a lethal weapon. Remember how I used some of these same things to make gravy back in April? But no, it's not gravy I'm making today. I'm making a pie, or, more accurately, attempting to make a pie, since my trial and error ways usually produce more error. But at Enrichment last week, a genuinely talented lady showed us how to make what appeared to be a simple pie crust, so I thought, "why not give it another try?" And the reason I say "another try" is because I've tried to make several pies in the past, with often the same result; that is to say, a rather unfortunate and depressing looking pie crust. One pie I made, probably my first one, was for dessert with my cousin Whitney who's been to culinary school. It was an embarrassing moment. Half a dozen pies later, the pies and accompanying pie crusts have produced equal shame. In fact, last November I made a pumpkin pie that, although tasted good, was not much to look at and so I think it may still be in the back of the freezer, hiding out in shame, like the Ugly Ducking of Pies.

Notwithstanding my previous failures, I went to my friend's house today for this joint pie-making venture. Apples were the intended victims for the pie today, consigned to Kristin's Ill-Fated Pie Attempt #7. And so I got down to business with the pastry blender, and pumped myself up with thoughts of my grandma, my pioneer heritage, or at the very least, Ma from Little House on the Prairie. Fortunately, my channeling of those gifted pie makers past and present gave me luck, because I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't too difficult of a process, despite feeling doomed from the start for various reasons, one of which was the lack of foresight which led me to being fewer apples than the recipe called for. Not to mention they were the wrong kind. But I forged on, with high hopes that my small, gala apple pie would be just as delicious. I understood the depth of my lesser abilities though, when after making the crust, and coring and peeling the apples, I peeked at the recipe and realized that the process that had just taken me two hours to complete was supposed to, in the "Prep Time" of the recipe, take only about 25 minutes. Betty Crocker must have been a whiz with a paring knife, that's all I can say. Rolling the crust out was another matter entirely. I have always thought, in the pie making world, that it makes sense that if you want to make a circle with the dough, you should start out with a circle. This I did, but it seemed my rolling pin had other ideas, and I ended up with a slightly oblong circle, which I managed to slap across the pie pan without stretching it too much. I tried harder the second time, for the top, but without much more success. Such as it was, it was ready for the oven. To my credit, I did remember a tip, probably from my grandma, (thanks grandma) to cover the edges with foil so you don't burn those before the pie is all the way done. Then, without so much as a flourish, I pushed it into the oven and closed the door, glad to not be handling anymore a pie that surely I had botched.

When the timer went off thirty five minutes later, a strange and surprising thing happened. I took out a pie that was nicely golden brown on the top, not burned around the edges, and that filled the air with a pleasing aroma. "where did this pie come from?" I wondered to myself again, not sure that it was really the same one I had put in. I was sure the pie fairy had come and switched a really nice looking and smelling pie for the one I had brought not enough apples for, the wrong kind of apples for, and basically, though following directions, surely must have mishandled it along the way somewhere. But sure enough, it was my pie. Looks can be deceiving, I told myself, and was afraid to taste it, fearing I would have to deflate my now over-inflated pie-making ego. But somewhere along the way, a miracle occurred, because you know what? It actually tasted good. I was amazed. How did I do it? I have absolutely no idea. Certainly, the right tools and ingredients in the wrong hands can be a recipe for disaster, and I am happy to report, that this time, I wasn't part of that disaster. It wasn't exactly June Cleaver, but it was a start.



(this is actually a picture of it before I baked it. I didn't have one after because, well, we ate it! Amazing!)

9 comments:

Sunnie said...

i was hoping for the good actions shots of the day! but i am happy to see that my expertly picked apples, or maybe they were nicole's, made the post. anyways, good job on the pie. i feel as though at times i was more of a bystander than a participater, but i did learn a lot. i am now handy with a pastry blender. maybe i should by one.

1tiredmama said...

It looks really good! I will have to have you come teach me!

allison said...

Mamacita and I say lookin' reeeeal good! I wished I could have tasted that pie! You never give yourself enough credit for what a lovely cooker you are...chocolate chip cookies anyone???

Lindsay said...

Way to go! Lucky #7...that is a thing of beauty. I'm completely impressed with your culinary genius and improv skills. Even in the face of tough odds you gave it your all and came through with flying colors :).
And by the way, I'm expecting a post later today detailing the gender of your third born. I would also like to know what Ms. Fancy's reaction is.

Ginger said...

Yay! It looks yummy to me! And that Betty Crocker can't really be serious when she posts "prep" time amounts can she? :)

And I too will be looking for a post after you get back from the Dr!

Carrie said...

That looks like a delicious pie. But I have to admit that I too checked your blog to see if the results were posted. Cant wait for you to find out!!!

Good job on the pie!!!

Lisa said...

I came to find out what the next member of our family will be, and I find a pie instead. It looks like it was a delicious one. I like making pies because I really love eating them. :) I'm sure it was making all those doggie cookies that improved your culinary skills.

Liz said...

I for one love apple pies, regardless of how they look. This is beautiful though! Great job!

Although now I have this strange desire to make an apple pie...

scraphappymama said...

Looks good and you did a great job posting about our little apple pie adventure. Can I just cut and copy it to my blog?!?!?!? I don't think I could write about it so creatively!!

Glad your pie turned out great. I like mine too, however, Brooklyn told me, "it's disgusting!!"