Get the Soap
I have always known and lamented the fact that once Aubrey started school that she would come in contact with some unsavory characters, and learn things I didn't want her to know. But I was completely unprepared for the deluge of what we call in our house, "potty words" that have flown from Aubrey's mouth since she began kindergarten. Now I realize, she did find humor in bodily noises and functions prior to her entrance into public education, but really, we hear something in the ballpark or two or three potty words just in the cookies-and-milk phase of the afternoon, which is a significant increase. Most of the time, I just say, "let's not say those words" or "we don't talk about that" or something like that, or we just laugh it off, because, hey, some potty words actually ARE pretty funny. And most of them are fairly innocuous. Until, today. (And I'm probably being overdramatic about this, but, it shocked me).
To start off, let me just say, she has a habit of calling members of her family "sillyhead" or other such terms of endearment. Today, we went over to see Aubrey and Andrew's grammie and grandpa, who had recently returned home from a long trip to Utah. After we greeted them and sat down and Aubrey was being quizzed by her grammie about kindergarten, Aubrey made an off-the-wall remark, and in response, her grammie grinned and said, "you silly girl!" And then Aubrey, wishing to return the endearment, said to her grammie, "you silly butt!" !!!!!!!! I was more shocked than anything, since she has NEVER heard that word from me or Chad. We try really hard to keep to words like bum, rear end, bootie, etc., all of which are acceptable. Call me old fashioned, but that's the way I want it in my house. So after, "silly butt" came out, we had to stop that little conversation right then and there with Aubrey and pull her aside for a little chat. "Who taught you that?" we ask her, (sounding nice, but inwardly, hoping to discover who the little pint size perpetrator was) and "Do you know what that word means?" Aubrey of course, didn't, so we told her what it was, and asked her to please not say it, or call anyone an offensive word, especially her grammie, please. But unfortunately, the laughter that she heard upon saying it the first time, (which was more due to shock than anything, and which was quickly subdued), was too much of a temptation for her, and so she said it AGAIN! to her grammie a short while later. I decided it was time to get serious. I sounded more like my mom than I ever have in my life, when I said, "Aubrey, if you say that again, I am going to wash your mouth out with soap." Aubrey, weighing the consequence, asked me, "is it going to be yucky?" And since I was the perfect child in my youth, I never had to have that punishment, and therefore would not know, I told her, "yes. It is disgusting."
I haven't heard "the word" again tonight, and I am hoping the threat of having Ivory jammed in between her teeth and rubbed on her tongue is enough to deter her from saying that again. (A nice, wishful thinking sort of thought, I know. I'm the one who has to have the guts to follow through on it, though). But sheesh, it is only the second week of kindergarten! I hate to think what other words she's going to come home with. But regardless, I'll have a trusty bar of soap waiting. Thank you, Ivory.
16 comments:
Yup, that's the start of the potty words coming home. We have a rule that we don't get mad the first time we hear it, but watch out the second time! And we too use the soap method. I was also a perfect child growing up, but had the unfortunate experience once or twice of getting my mouth washed out with soap by mistake. ;) I can attest, it IS disgusting. And E-man can attest as well.
Actually, in my experience, "butt" is the least of the words I've heard.
I guess I'll just be grateful that it was Grammie who got the term of endearment rather than Grandma, close call for me. I would like a little clarification though, how often did you hear your mother threatening anyone with soap? I know I did it a few times and carried through with it a couple, not fun. Ah well, we can't all be "the perfect child"!
I remember in Kindergarten I used a word which is slang for fecal matter, I didn't know what it meant or that it was bad but I never said it again after my mom washed my mouth out with soap... at least Aubrey got a warning.
haha i got my mouth washed out with soap only once when i lied. never again. it is gross. but a good method
good luck with that. hope you dont have to use ivory to much
I try not to think about all of the influences on my kids when I am not around...aren't you glad her word was among some of the more "innocent" out there...just wait til first grade.
i still remember being at my friend's house and seeing him lick the carpet because he got hot sauce or tabasco or something put in his mouth. so that obviously is an effective punishment. and i too worry about what elle will hear at school. i'd prefer to not think about it because it stresses me out.
so it was my friend's brother in case that wasn't clear above
I'm glad that bootie is still acceptable. :)
This gave me the giggles Kristin. Thanks for the good kid stories!
Oh man. When I told Ritchie about it he thought that "butt" was mild. But I agree with you---especially since it was not in her vocab 2 weeks ago and since she used in on her grandmother. I'm sorry it has come to this. On a lighter note, I have been impressed at the leaps her conversational skills have taken in the last few weeks. I had 3 nice talks with her today. Gotta love that webcam. And I love that girl!
Oh man. Sorry it had to be Grammie that got the potty nickname. But, at least she probably wasn't offended too much by it. I think the soap is a good method though. I remember mine being washing out a couple times, AND I remember mom making me do it myself too. Apparently, I was a bad enough kid to need my mouth washed out with soap, but I was an obedient enough kid to actually do it when mom told me to. I can still remember the ivory being ground in my molars, and tasting the soap for a while afterwards until it came out of my teeth. Yuck.
I too can attest to the soap being nasty. I remember sitting on the counter in the Lubbock house grinding my teeth together to avoid liquid soap oozing down my tongue. Im pretty sure the word of choice was "dooty"....
Another method is to put liquid soap on a toothebrush....
The hardest part is not laughing because you have to put on the "that's absolutely not acceptable in our house face". Hopefully the soap will frighten her away from anymore potty talk anytime soon.
I just saw that picture on the side of your blog in my text book and learned about that. And this whole time I thought it was your baby... haha man im cool
Having used the soap-in-the-mouth method myself, I can warn you that a little goes a long way! I hate "the word" just like you do. It is so crass.
Does that make me a bad mom that Brooklyn has already experienced the soap in the mouth thing?!?!?! If Aubrey wonders how it really is, she can ask Brooklyn. I must say, it's pretty effective at stopping said bad behaviors.
Post a Comment