Friday, September 14, 2007

Ms. Fancy does her homework

The breezing through school Aubrey has been doing has come abruptly to a halt this week when, on Tuesday, she brought home her first homework assignment. Up until this point, I am the only one who has been doing any homework. I have gotten really great at writing my own name because Aubrey has brought home paper after paper for me to sign and return. And just for the record, I'm pretty sure I signed and returned an enrollment card for Aubrey at least three times. Not to mention the PFO sign up sheet I received at least twice. Aubrey has yet to bring home anything which requires her to practice writing her name. Seems a little backwards. So anyway, on Tuesday, the yellow folder comes home, and in it, is a simple craft project, right up Aubrey's alley. She had to cut out a picture of a coyote (being that they are the Kohrville Courageous Coyotes) and decorate it any way she liked. Well, the way Aubrey likes to do things is, big. Coloring it with crayons and markers? Are you kidding? Way too simple. Not to mention boring. Aubrey, being Little Ms. Fancy, went to the craft box and began poking through it for things to use, and was delighted to find glitter, feathers, and pom poms. These would work nicely. Some colorful beads and dry alphabet noodles rounded out her supply list. Then Aubrey went to work. Cutting it was easy, and she quickly moved on to choosing what feather was going on first. After changing her mind half a dozen times, she chose... a pink one. (Anybody surprised about that?) Glitter followed, as well as the pom poms and alphabet noodles. A little more glitter was necessary, she decided, and so went to work once more. She even added a googly eye. All in all, it turned out quite fabulous. She was very proud of her work, and exclaimed as she was done, "nobody is going to have a coyote that looks like this!" And I am quite certain nobody will. It is a work of art.


Here are Aubrey's necessary supplies:



Ms. Fancy hard at work



She is happy with the end result.



And here is a close up of the end result, a work of art, to be sure:



Even Andrew, whose recent exploits have included pulling over the trash can and rifling through its contents, got in on the action. He paced back and forth under the table the whole time, like a little shark, waiting for something to eat. Um, little man, did you know you have a feather right there on your cheek? You would think I never feed this child the way he looks through the garbage for food, and who willingly and enthusiastically ate anything that fell to the floor during this craft project, including that purple feather, which didn't quite make it down the hatch.



And there you have it. Arm Aubrey with glitter, feathers, pom poms, beads, noodles, and a little glue, and the sky's the limit.

16 comments:

Court and Jill said...

I love hearing about all these kindergarten stories! Aubrey will love reading these when she gets older...I sure wished my mom had written down a few more things about my life when I was little. Keep on writing! Very entertaining!

Ginger said...

LOL! I love it. The art work is beautiful and I know what you mean about signing the same papers over and over. I've been getting the same things!

I love the picture of Andrew! Reminds me so much of what Spencer is like right now too--he hasn't found the trash yet though--yikes, maybe I need to find a new place for it!

Carrie said...

that is so cute. does she like art a lot?? I bet she is really creative, it sure looks like. That is very smart of her to use all those other things rather than crayons and markers. Well done Mom!

Lindsay said...

That was a great post! I am sure no one will have a coyote like that. I'm glad she's secure in her individuality...way to cultivate that! And little roo is a crack up...maybe I should start calling him "the shark."

Emily said...

Hey, this is Emily Gregory, now Walker...how are you?! Stumbled on your blog from Julia's page today in the comments. Your kids are so cute!!! I had to tell you that I nannied for the woman who wrote the Potentially Sane book- I love it too, eventhough I don't have kids. It's fun to read her ideas and see how they were at work in her home, and see how her kids benefitted from them. The biggest one was "flexible." Once I made an egg wrong for the kid, and he goes "That's ok, I'll eat it today. I'm flexible." This lady knows what she's doing!!

Lisa said...

That is awesome. I think that big pink feather right in the middle is a nice touch. She's so creative! I can just picture little man crawling back and forth under the table while she worked!

Liz said...

That's a great coyote! Those are the best homework assignments! One more reason I keep all that stuff around- comes in SOO handy!

About Andrew pacing the floor- that's hilarious! Isn't it nice having a puppy dog to clean up the floor of all the old crusty pieces of food that get trapped under the table legs? ;) LOL! Our game is "What will we find in Baby Boy's mouth today!"

Ashley Seil Smith said...

haha, i love these kids so much. some day she is going to be in an art class, that's for sure.

allison said...

mom and i laughed, very cute

Anonymous said...

thats great!! she is going to have so much fun in kindergarten!

Sunnie said...

so i think the school mascot got loose because the other morning i saw something stray wandering that i swear was a coyote. and i bet hers was the prettiest of the class.

mommymoocow said...

What a great story! I can just picture Sandrew "pacing" under the table. The coyote is outstanding as well.

Ash said...

Your stories are always entertaining. I love the way you write. I also really love the purple feather beside Andrew's mouth. He's such a cutie.

Emma Jo said...

I remember these projects all too well. We started enthusiastically but I hate to admit that by the end of the year we were resorting to the ease of a glue stick and colored saran wrap...beautiful coyote Aubrey!

Kimberly said...

When I picked up Aubrey on Tues. she was really excited about her homework assignment. However, when I checked Jacobs backpack I found nothing. I guess we got off one more week homework free. I am sure the inevitable homework folder will turn up soon.

scraphappymama said...

If only homework always stayed so fun. Crafting is a great project, and Aubrey seemed right at home. Brooklyn loves all things crafty and art too. If only I was a better mom and let her do it more. Isn't that what school is for?!?!?

Andrew is so cute too. Gotta love all the things they manage to find with older siblings around.