Like You Stole Something, but with two L's
That's how I usually describe my last name to people, an idea given to me by Chad. Stolle is a tricky last name, but truthfully, I'm used to tricky by growing up with the last name Seil. There are times however, I am jealous of my sisters who married into common last name families, such as Smith, Miller, and Hansen. But, most of the time, having a tricky last name that is hard to pronounce and hard to spell to strangers and others comes in real handy.
Today, KJC Ventures calls (the place who gives you a free cruise for coming in for a short "presentation")
KJC: Hello, is Miss Stall there?
Me: Nope, there's no one by that name here.
KJC: I'm sorry, I must have the wrong number.
Even though we are on the Do Not Call List, we still get calls like that one and others from telemarketers. Luckily, we always know who they are because they mispronounce our name. And luckily for me, there are no Stalls, Stolley, Stolleys, Stalleys, who live at this address.
7 comments:
haha, be happy you have a tricky name...Smith is great for just about two reason 1. it means i'm married to natedog and 2. it's easy to spell
that's about it. i wish i had a more unique name, but you know what it is now...
Ha ha, we ALWAYS have a hard time with our name too. I mean, so many BAD things can go wrong with the last name of FUNK. I try to enunciate very clearly when I'm yelling our last name. I don't need people looking at me thinking I'm a potty mouth. And for some reason when I tell people our last name on the phone they always think I say "SUNK". I say F as is Fox and they must think I say S as in Socks. So now I have learned to say Funk, F as in Frank. I don't think there is anything else that starts with an S that rhymes with Frank is there? Well, maybe Sank!!
Thats funny. We always knew not to give the phone to dad if they called and asked for Leonard! Yes, Seil is a tricky name. We always made fun of mom cause she was would ALWAYS say "S like Sam.....e-i-l". Then one time me and Carrie heard your mom say the exact same thing! A few weeks ago when I was on-call a CPS worker called me and asked my name and I spelled it. And then she said "S like Sam or F like Frank?" It was so funny!
I just have to say Hansen with an e-n. People do mix that up. The problem with the common name, is that it's common! When I go to the eye doctor, I have to tell them my birthday as well as my name because they have another patient with my same first and last name. Crazy.
I love it! That happens to me too, except both my first and last name are hard. No matter what name they try, they say it wrong, so I can truthfully say, "sorry, you have the wrong number!"
i thought i was getting away with a relatively easy last name but apparently scoville can still be pretty hard.
SCOville?
scoVILLE?
scoveel
scahveel
those are a few questions I've had asked to me. Not too bad though I guess. or people get confused about if it's one l or two or with an e at the end.
Go to the National and Texas Do Not Call websites and register a complaint anytime someone like that calls. They won't do it again! And remember you have to re-register every 5 years (I just did)
Post a Comment