Wednesday, March 12, 2008

RASCAL FLATTS!!!!!

We have wanted to see Rascal Flatts in concert for a long time, and last year, at the rodeo, their concert was on Sunday, so we couldn't go. This time, it was on Tuesday, and even though I skipped Enrichment to go (and I'm the Enrichment Leader), we had to go see Gary, Jay, and Joe Don. So, we put on our jeans and t-shirts and headed down to the rodeo with our friends Jeff and Stacy.


I love seeing what people wear to the rodeo, as there is a wide range of acceptable dress. You can count on a a lot of tight jeans, cowboy hats, belt buckles and those string ties, but I'm always amazed and alarmed at the cleavage and the bare bellies hanging out, of which there are always many, us four not included.

I was so excited for Rascal Flatts, but almost as excited to see our friends Jeff and Stacy ride the mechanical bull, which they had vowed to do since not doing it last year. That was a show that did not disappoint, but you'll have to go to her blog to see it.

I just love the rodeo. I've gone so many times, it's something I have enjoyed ever since moving to Texas. I love seeing the animals, I love watching the rodeo, and I LOVE the food. It's all greasy and unhealthy, but you know, where else can you get one of these:






And where else can you walk around with a giant turkey leg like some kind of primitive carnivorous animal? It's all so very wonderful. I ended up getting a loaded baked potato and Chad got a barbecue sandwich, and then we shared something we'd never seen at the rodeo before, but had to try. It was.... Chicken Fried Bacon! I could almost feel my cholesterol rising as I ate it. After we finished our dinner, we headed to the carnival area where we shared a funnel cake and fried Oreos with the Kirkhams. And luckily for me, unluckily for Chad, due to the following mishap, he spent the remainder of the evening holding my jacket for me. What a gentleman.





The actual rodeo part of the rodeo is always fun, especially the calf scramble. There were a couple of gals who really got scraped up (and had their jeans torn in embarrassing places) in pursuit of their own calves... The calves stepped on them, dragged them underneath them, and generally made their catching painful. Everyone was really rooting for these girls, but I think only one girl ended up with a calf. I think they ought to give the other girl a calf just for her effort. It made me wonder if you have to sign a medical waiver to particpate.

The concert after the rodeo was great! It was exciting, and they put on a great show. They sang SO many songs, and it was wonderful. I was pretty excited, but if ever my excitement had waivered, we had two girls sitting directly in front of us that had enough excitement for the whole stadium, screaming and clapping and raising their hands up throughout the concert. I'm pretty sure they also sang along, to every song, and stood up at various times. So, despite that, we had a great time and decided that we have to come back and show Aubrey the rodeo. We've brought her before, but this year, I think she would appreciate it a lot more. Especially the fried Oreos.

14 comments:

Sunnie said...

i am so jealous of the concert and rodeo fun. next year jake and i will have to go now that busy season is no more and i won't have a nursing baby. i'm glad you guys had fun. hopefully we'll make it down there this year. and i like the next post about last names. gruwell is always a fun one to marry into.

Julia said...

hey we were at the show too! can't believe we didn't run into you...haha

Ashley Seil Smith said...

oh the rodeo. i'm so jealous you got to see rascall flatts and enjoy some good southern bbq. i'm not, however, jealous about watching the calf roping or other sad events similar to it. i weird i know, but the rodeo has me so torn. i love it and i hate. (maybe is has to do with the one year the calf died from being roped...yeah..that's probably it...)

The Funky Bunch said...

The best part about going to the fair or rodeo is definitely the food. I mean, it's all so fattening yet so delicious. When we go we already have in our minds what types of yummy food we're going to get! And we went to Rascal Flatts last year and LOVED it. I don't think there is one song they have that I don't like. Glad you had a good time. And I LOVE that pic of Chad with a stain. So funny!

Anonymous said...

You sound like me at the fair. I love fair food. I love the rodeo, and jealous of you seeing Rascal Flatts, I bet it was amazing! Im pretty sure the two girls in front of you were me and my pal at the George Strait concert :). That stain on Chad's shirt is too funny!!

Carrie said...

I am jealous too. I do love the rodeo. Ours is coming next month!!

As for the previous two posts that I apparently missed, I understand the funky last name bit. It is kind of bitter sweet I guess.

And I hope that you are feeling better. I know no one likes to be sick.. especially for that long..

1tiredmama said...

I am so jealous. 2 years ago when we bought Rascal Flatts tickets at the rodeo they canceled the day of and we got 3 no namers. I was so disappointed, I hear they put on a great show. So the fried oreos really are good? I love oreos, but something about a fried one just doesn't seem right.

Quite Content said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time. We have only been once to the rodeo, but we really loved it and hope that we can go next year.

Emily said...

Rascal Flatts! How fun! They just came here too, but we didn't go! I bet is was just so fun!

123 checkoutourfamily said...

I am so JEALOUS! I love Rascal Flatts. One of my friends got to go too and I told Matt I'm so jealous. I think I have to buy tickets b/c I doubt he would. Next year maybe. I'm not sure that any other artists would compare.

Christy said...

That is so fun. I love the rodeo. I will have to try a deep fried Oreo; I tried a deep fried Twinkie but was disapointed... all the cream was absorbed by the cake part and made it soggy (bleh.)

scraphappymama said...

i am a little sad we didn't make it to the rodeo this year. i would have loved to see rascal flatts or brad paisley. oh well, maybe next year i can convince aaron to take me (as long as it doesn't fall too close to another matchbox 20 concert) i'll have to try the fried oreo thing too.

glad you are back in the world of the healthy. we need to hang out again!!!

Kirkhams said...

The bull riding video has been posted (thanks to Jeff). While my riding was pretty good, your accompanying laughs made it much more fun. Thanks for the fun night. Next time I'll bring my clorox pen to help Chad out!

Lindsay said...

So fuN!