Monday, March 17, 2008

Old McDonald had a duck and a sheep

I recently put up a video of Aubrey's alphabet sounds, now it's Andrew's turn for the spotlight, with Animal Sounds.

I have been working with Andrew for months on animal sounds. Actually, I have been working with him to say anything besides mama, and figured that animals was a good place to start. He loves the book that he is "reading" in the video clip, but he has not even said so much as a moo until recently. All he can do so far is the Quack Quack (and notice he is on the duck page at the time) and the Baa Baa (on the sheep page). But this is progress.

I'm happy to report also, that the walking is really coming along. We're trying hard to get him to meet his milestones since we discovered he was slightly behind. ("Slightly behind" may be too generous as he is almost 18 months and just starting to walk). But he is letting go and walking, and he's climbing too, another milestone. We're getting him to drink out of a sippy cup, which may seem like a small thing, but is actually not, all things considered.

We've been trying so hard to help him meet his milestones, that now, when he is, it makes me a little sad. I love this sweet and loving little boy. He is so easy going and even tempered, quick to smile and easy to be made to laugh. He gets so excited to go outside, or to go on trips in the car or anywhere out of the house. But he is just as content to wander through the house and play with his toys and clap at them when he can make them light up or make noise. He loves having stories read to him. He is a mama's boy and I couldn't be happier about that. But he is growing up.

Sometimes I feel like I just want to freeze certain moments in time and have them forever. I love when I come into his room in the morning or after he naps, and his face lights up to see me, his mama, and he grins that priceless grin. I love that when I hold him, he will lay his head on my shoulder and pat my back with his little hand. I love that when I ask him if he will give me kisses, he always gives me two. In my world, where I am not always Happy Mom and I struggle sometimes from day to day, it is such a blessing in my life to have the perfect and unconditional love of my baby boy.

8 comments:

travelingtxmom said...

He is a sweetheart! I too love the pat-pats on the back with his hugs. It's fun to see him exploring the world from an upright perspective.

Allie said...

I love your post. Now you have me boo-hooing. How interesting that you and I were experiencing the same little heart string tugs last night. I think we posted these two posts at relatively the same time. It is good to read your words and know I have company in my emotions.

Don't you just love a mama's boy! I know I don't have a girl to compare that bond, but to me there is nothing like the way those boys love their mama. I love your description of his love pats, what a doll. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

sweet sweet little boy. i wish i could see him as often as i saw Aubs at that age.

Sunnie said...

i was so happy to see him walking so well today! now he seems so old! i love the book reading. so cute. and it's sad when babies grow up. i don't like it.

Lisa said...

Amen, sister. I hear you. It's exciting to see them discover and learn new things, but also a tiny bit heartbreaking at the same time.

That's so cute that he's doing animal sounds. I'm glad he's starting to walk more. Now you'll have to post a video of that. :)

Anonymous said...

too too cute!! what a sweet boy!

Liz said...

Oh that is precious! I love his sweet little sounds!

It's funny how with the first one you want them to do all these milestones quickly. You learn with subsequent children that it's better if they learn on their own for many reasons- one of which is they find trouble quicker, and for the reason you mentioned above. It does go too fast. He is such a sweet little guy, as are both of your kids. :)

Ginger said...

So well said and I couldn't agree more! Ditto every word about my own little boys growing up too fast.

And I love seeing Andrew walk. He just seems so happy and proud of himself--and rightly so it is a huge milestone :)