Aubrey Stolle, First Grader
I took Aubrey to the first day of first grade today! I thought I would feel old taking Aubrey to kindergarten. But then I took her to first grade. She's still my little girl, only six, you know, but she's getting older, which is the scary thing.
I woke her up with the Good Morning song we sing at our house, at the bright and early hour of 7:00 a.m. This is a girl who, after starting kindergarten last year, likes her sleep. So, I ended up singing the Good Morning song a couple of times as she rolled from side to side, squinting her eyes closed, trying to stay asleep. Finally, when I changed the words to the Goodnight song, that gave her a case of the giggles and she was up for the day. She's been wanting to wear her first day of school outfit since we got it, (a bright pink polo shirt with a denim skirt she picked out herself...suspiciously resembling what she wore last year on the first day) so she was more than happy to put it on. She had already decided on her hair for the day, so that was a bonus (as last year, she usually went with nothing in her hair because she couldn't decide). Her decision for lunch was also decided last night, so that was slick as well. Grammie and her aunt Janae who came for a week visit brought over her breakfast, a First Day of School Donut, pink frosting with sprinkles of course. Then we walked to school. We made the decision to walk to school this year for many reasons, but I am excited that we can spend some extra time togheter on the walk to and from school. I hope it works out.
Here she is, all ready to go! I really like this picture because truly, she was excited and you can see it all over her face.
Here's the annual I'm-about-to-drop-my-brother picture.
We happened to run into good friend Elle on the way to school and so the girls ended up walking the rest of the way together, holding hands. I would like to mention that, yes, she was holding my hand until Elle came along and Aubrey saw a better option. Oh well, that's little girls for you. She had said once or twice, "I'm so nervous!!!" in that excited, anticipatory voice, so I was glad that she had someone to walk with to ease those first day of school jitters a little bit.
She entered the school like a pro (after hugging Elle goodbye). As we walked down the familiar halls, she saw her old P.E. teacher, and called out, "Hi, Coach!" and then we saw Mrs. T-Bone, the music teacher. As we turned the corner to head to the first grade hallway, her nervousness turned to pure excitement that couldn't be contained. "I am so ready for this!!!" she exclaimed. And she was. We walked right up to her classroom, I hugged her and promised I would meet her outside after school and she said, "Okay! Bye mom!" And that was that, as Mrs. Territo showed her where to put her backpack, and she chose her desk (an upgrade from last year's assigned tables). As I walked away from the school, I marvelled at how far she's come since last year. And I hope she has a great year this year too.
20 comments:
I was so hoping this post would be here today! I'm so glad that she was excited to be off to first grade, remember those really sad pictures of another little girl with her friend Kimberly the first day of first grade? I can't wait to hear how the day goes. Good job in preparing her mom!
She's so cute and getting so big. I get to have my "baby" go to Kindergarten tomorrow! It's crazy!! We're getting old, aren't we?? Lol. Oh wait, we're still young, it's our cradle-robbing husbands that are old!!
Yay for first grade! Aubrey is such a cutie! I hope she had a great day!
For some crazy reason I thought you were homeschooling... my brain is broken.
She looks adorable - as usual!
We are so proud of Aubrey. I also remember her grandmother and how she was a little bit reluctant to leave me and go into the school her first day so many years ago. Thanks for the great blog!
Man, this almost made me cry (then again, I've been crying a lot at random commercials lately too)! She's so sweet. I'll have to write her a letter and ask her how it went. I love her outfit, down to those colorful socks, she's just so sweet. You'll have to let us know how that day was! I forget my first days of school were always different because I always had someone to share them with, it probably wasn't ever as scary as for you "single" children. :) haha, I just made that term up.
I can't believe we both have first graders. Aubrey looks so big. Lilyann has been in school for almost a month now and loves it and wants to walk to her class by herself. I can't quite let go yet.
Aubrey looks so cute in her pink outfit. I thought it would be easier sending them to first grade, but I think no matter what grade it is, its just hard to send your babies to school.
oh i love that little girl. she is so great...this also made me want to cry. i remember how great the days when chad was student teaching and i'd come home from school every day and that sweet baby girl would be there. time really goes by quickly...
How cute! What a fun first day. You are such a good mom!
She's so great. I loved that picture of her...you're right, the excitement is ALL over her face. I'm glad she had such a great first day...she seems like such a little school pro now. How did Elle's first day go?
I felt the same with my first grader. She is having a hard time adjusting and I am hoping it is just a phase. Kaylee also got to pick her chair which was soooo exciting.
i think elle seeing aubrey helped her feel more comfortable. and today once she saw aubrey again she immediatley seemed happier and at ease. she was okay going into the cafeteria because aubrey did. glad aubrey was excited. she look so much older than last year!
well how cute. glad she was so excited to go to school!! hope it all went well!! glad you are able to walk to school!!
I love Aubrey's 1st day of school pic. We always did this chant for the morning announcements about coming to school. It was like:
Why are we here?...to learn
What are we going to give?...effort
She looks eager to learn and very excited about school. I wish more kids felt that way!
This is so cute and exciting, yet slightly heartbreaking at the same time! Kids grow too fast!!! She looks adorable, I love the outfit she picked out! :) How in the world are you old enough to be the mother of a first grader?
Aubrey really does have that excited look on her face! She's such a cute girl! It's fun seeing you and the other moms each day doing drop offs and pick ups.
Ok, I have to comment on the yogurt. Can I say I am so impressed! My mom makes homemade yogurt (and I had the same thought about why you would use yogurt to make yogurt, but you summed it up nicely for me). She hasn't made it in awhile, but I know she uses a floor heater and sticks the warm pan in a small bathroom for the 12 hrs. So far, they've never had a fire:). I do love the taste of it though. I don't think she's ever put flavoring in it and it tastes great plain! Especially with a little granola thrown in there! YUM. I think I'll have her teach me how to make it, or better yet, she can just call me after it's made!
How great to walk to school! I'm a little jealous of that. Can't believe how fast these little ones grow. How is Chad's new job? He's a nice AP. We have to go get our own books at our school. :)
She is growing up just too fast!!! Hope her and Chad had a good first week!! (Im a little behind!!)
She looks so cute!!! I love seeing those little faces on the first day of school! I am so glad it went well. You are lucky you get to walk her to school!
Post a Comment